System growing?? RRS feed

• Question

• When clicking on the Server Storage Icon it brings up in the lower righthand corner a list of how much each area is taking up.  I have noticed that the System option is steadly growing.  A few days ago it was 160gb and now it's up to 178gb.  What would cause this to grow so much?  I have not added anything to the server except the nightly backups of 3 machines. 

Monday, June 30, 2008 1:37 PM

Answers

• Are you sure you have turned off Volume Shadow Copies being taken on your home server?

Here are the steps for doing so, and also reclaiming the space used by the existing snapshots on your home server:

1. Using Remote Desktop to your home server.
    2. Delete volume shadow copy snapshots by running "vssadmin delete shadows /all" from command line.
    3. To prevent Windows Home Server from taking  future volume shadow copy snapshots:
            a. on your home server start the registry editor (START - Run - Regedit).
            b. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes
            c. Find a sub key which has a "MountPoint" value equal to D:
            d. Under that key set the value of SnapPeriod to 0.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have PP1 installed? if so, there is a new algorithm used, as mentioned in it's documentation.

·         A new and improved storage size algorithm has been implemented for listing Server Storage usage:

1.       Free space is now more accurately measured from the hard drives connected to your home server.

2.       Prior to Power Pack 1, the ‘System’ size was computed based on the size of the C: partition (20GB) and the size of D:\folders\.  With Power Pack 1, the’ System’ size is now calculated as total size minus the sum of Shared Folders, Duplicated folders, and Home Computer Backups.

3.       Once Power Pack 1 is installed, users may experience an increase in the ‘System’ size due to the new algorithm. The extra size accounts for volume shadow copies, the Recycle Bin, as well as any files which are stored on a home server outside of shared folders or application folders.

4.       To reclaim the space, try the following steps:

§         Empty Recycle Bin (if you used the home server as a desktop, the Recycle Bin may have some files in it).

§         Check this folder, D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\ to view and delete any orphan shadow files.

Turn off Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).  This can be done by right clicking on your system drive, selecting properties and then choosing disable from the Shadow Copy tab. 

Colin

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Well ... it's still growing.  I'm up to 181GB and I haven't accessed the server other then the nightly backups.  Recycle Bin has been empty.  The D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9 has no more then 30 or 40 meg total in it.  VSS has been turned off  for sometime now.  I have the following on the Server Storage screen.

Shared Folders 1.3TB

Duplication 5.6GB

PC Backups 96GB

System 181GB (this is up 3GB from yesterday)

Free Space 821GB

Where is the System growing from?  I have had PP1 on here for sometime now.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Does this increase correlate with the size of the total daily backups of your Clients? If your not adding any other files to Shared Folders, then that should be the only additions.

What does the bottom strap say about Storage Balancing?

Colin

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Not sure about the siaze of the backups (just started to pay attention the last couple of days).  The bottom says storage balanced about a half hour before I logged into the server.  I will check this closer after tonights backup.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Be interesting to see. I wonder if it has any connection to this post in the PP1 forum.

Colin

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 7:07 PM
  • I'm not sure.  A lot of that thread I didn't understand.  My server consists of 3 750gb drives and 1 320gb drive which is the primary (all sata).  The c drive (20gb) is 74% free.  The D drive is 96% free (I believe this is the landing zone they were talking about?).  The 3 750's are 4%, 2%, & 74% free.  Looks like it's working just like it's suppose to.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 8:20 PM
  • OK after the nightly back up and deleting a movie it stands as follows.

Shared Folders 1.3TB

Duplication 1.5GB

PC  Backups 96GB

System 183 GB

Free Space 826GB

The movie was in a duplicated user's folder.  As you can see the System has increased another 2 GB.  This must be the nightly backups.  But if so isn't this being calculated twice?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Kanebrake,

Have a read of this thread, it appears to be similar if not the same problem as yours?

Colin

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Yes Colin it does seem similer.  Today the amounts have changed again after nightly backups.

Shared Folders 1.3tb

Duplication 1.5gb

PC Backups 97gb

System 186gb

Free Space 823gb

Be interested to see if after Saturday night cleanup if System lowers.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Are you sure you have turned off Volume Shadow Copies being taken on your home server?

Here are the steps for doing so, and also reclaiming the space used by the existing snapshots on your home server:

1. Using Remote Desktop to your home server.
    2. Delete volume shadow copy snapshots by running "vssadmin delete shadows /all" from command line.
    3. To prevent Windows Home Server from taking  future volume shadow copy snapshots:
            a. on your home server start the registry editor (START - Run - Regedit).
            b. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes
            c. Find a sub key which has a "MountPoint" value equal to D:
            d. Under that key set the value of SnapPeriod to 0.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Thanks T.  I had already set D:/ to 0 but  had not reclaimed the space using the "vssadmin option".

Doing this changed the System amount from 168GB to 21GB (much better).  I will monitor this to see if it starts up again.  I don't know why the System kept increasing even though I had VSC disabled.   Oh well ... thanks.

EDIT: After last nights backups the song remains the same (21gb for system).  Thanks T.!!!!!

Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:05 PM
  • I'm just curious, but do you have your client computers powered on 24/7, or how do you do the nightly backups? Keeping them in stand-by?

Friday, July 4, 2008 10:44 AM
  • J.  I have 3 systems I keep running 24/7 (all Vista).  The other 4 systems I just do a manuel backup every 30 days.

Friday, July 4, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Ah, I see Smile

Saturday, July 5, 2008 9:08 AM