Restore worked! Now connector will not work? RRS feed

• Question

•    Some adware(bad) got past norton and I spent three nights getting it out.  Did not work.  So, I restored the drive.  Took about 2 - 1/2 hours and all was well.  That is until I tried a backup.  That is when the connector would not work.  Three more nights working on it and nothing.  Spent the last three hours checking the search and nothing there works.
       The problem is when I attempt to install the connector software, it loads and then "looks" for my home server.  It never can find it.  Auto or manual.   Been using WHS for, maybe, two years and this is the second time it saved my info.  First time this problem has happened.   What ever info you need - ask.

R.T.

Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:02 AM

Answers

• Well, this problem has been fixed.  It was Norton that was blocking several programs.  After removing Norton, everything works once again.  The part I do not understand is why or what messed up Norton during the full restore?  It would have been part of the restore.   Just does not add up to me.    ?????

R.T.
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Friday, January 1, 2010 11:27 PM
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:26 PM

All replies

• Can you try running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe on the computer you recently restored?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Sorry it took so long getting back here.  Too busy at work.
    Well. . . .when you stated can I run c:\program files, etc,etc.  brings up a question.   Can I run it?  In a command window,??? no.   In the browser command line????   error shows up.   Searching for the "discovery.exe" file, it can not be found.    Not sure of just what you are asking there.   Sorry

R.T.

P.S.  I have noticed that while I can get on the internet, there are other programs that will not connect.   Google Earth will not.  Security cameras I check out will not, will on another computer.  Maybe has something to do with this problem . . .?
    • Edited by R.T._CAT Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:59 AM Add content.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Well, this problem has been fixed.  It was Norton that was blocking several programs.  After removing Norton, everything works once again.  The part I do not understand is why or what messed up Norton during the full restore?  It would have been part of the restore.   Just does not add up to me.    ?????

R.T.
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Friday, January 1, 2010 11:27 PM
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:26 PM