Server Restore: Shares appear but can't be accessed? RRS feed

Answers

• I've installed my network drivers and it works now.

I guess that makes sense, but I could browse locally to \\Vault (my server), but the error only happened when trying to view a specific share.

Oh well.

Problem solved.  Thanks for the help!
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:41 AM

All replies

• I've just restored my WHS Server and I moved it out of a virtual environment (Hyper-V) to a standalone one.  I completely forgot that the system volume was inside a Hyper-V VHD so I lost the system drive's DATA partition.

Anyways, I did "Server Restore" and it looks like it found all of my data and my shares are showing correctly.  However, when I use the "Shared Folder on Servers" shortcut on my server desktop, when I go to any share it says:

\\Vault\<whatever> is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.  The network location cannot be reached.

I've enabled the guest account with read permission to every share...

Please help!

Try pinging your server from your client (both by name and by IP address).  Also, open a command prompt on your server and client and type ipconfig /all on both, then post the results here.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:55 PM
  • If you login to the server desktop, can the Administrator access the shared folders via the shortcut on desktop?

Did you already recreate the user accounts and the passwords, adjust the permissions to the Shared folders in the console and relogged in on the client?
    The server reinstall will not alter the permissions to the files, and new created users on the server, even if they have the same name, are not identical due to a different security identifier (SID), so the permissions will need to be reassigned.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:49 PM
  • I can't ping the server because no network drivers were installed yet.  However, I'm trying to access the shares directly on the server itself.

I can access D:\shares and my files just fine.  I'm only getting the error when I try to access the shares on the server (eg. the "Shared Folders on Server" shortcut on the desktop).

I've also recreated my users but it doesn't seem to have mattered... :(
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:10 AM
  • I've installed my network drivers and it works now.

I guess that makes sense, but I could browse locally to \\Vault (my server), but the error only happened when trying to view a specific share.

Oh well.

Problem solved.  Thanks for the help!
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:41 AM