Vista may be pirited message RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a  Dell Precision T5400 Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5420 (2.50GHz, Genuine Windows Vista Business installed. I got it stripped down (no cd\dvd ect.) from Dell. Not much cheaper but thats what I wanted. Everything was going fine, added my own DVD burner, better video and sound cards then two days ago I start getting Activation messages. "Windows Vista may be a pirated software" then It gives me three options, Buy a new key, type a differant key or call dell for help. Well buying a new key is nuts since I have the restore disk that came with it and it is a real Dell Reinstallation disk so I called dell. After comferming I do have their product and the disk they were stumpped. They gave me a new key to try and now the message says: "Windows Vista Business product key you typed is invalid for activation" The only main thing I have done is flash the Bios to the newest version to try to run the One terabit hard drives Tigerdirect has on sell. Could that of done it? The guy at Dell didnt know what I was talking about and after being on hold for about a hour total I was told to contact Microsoft, so here I am. I really love Vista, it is just what I needed for my small business but a computer headache is not. I need to keep this computer running so Help please. ANYONE!!!
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:39 AM

Answers

• Hello Sad Puppy Soup,

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum. Recently we have seen several posts from people who have become victims. If you are a victim, I will provide information for you to file a piracy report. The Genuine Advantage forum is here to help protect you, our valued customer. It is important for people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. 

Please follow the steps below as it could resolve your issue. If need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

Make sure you are logged on as an Administrator.

Confirm you are using the most current version of Genuine Advantage by clicking Validate Windows on the website below:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, continue below.

Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows Vista.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home Basic

·         Home Premium 

·         Business

·         Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key. 

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=b5c507e5-3522-40de-a2f4-97d82b39cc47&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Genuine Advantage forum. We look forward to working with you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, November 7, 2008 12:19 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Sad Puppy Soup,

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum. Recently we have seen several posts from people who have become victims. If you are a victim, I will provide information for you to file a piracy report. The Genuine Advantage forum is here to help protect you, our valued customer. It is important for people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices. 

Please follow the steps below as it could resolve your issue. If need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

Make sure you are logged on as an Administrator.

Confirm you are using the most current version of Genuine Advantage by clicking Validate Windows on the website below:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, continue below.

Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows Vista.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home Basic

·         Home Premium 

·         Business

·         Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key. 

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=b5c507e5-3522-40de-a2f4-97d82b39cc47&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Genuine Advantage forum. We look forward to working with you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, November 7, 2008 12:19 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Yes, I think flashing the BIOS was the problem. When you flash the BIOS, it deletes the OEM's SLIC tables, which are used to verify that you are using the OEM SLP Key with the OEM's computer. Since it cannot detect the SLIC tables, because they were deleted / overwritten, you must either buy a new license, or activate over the telephone. You could also try to recover the old BIOS, or flash to that version, but that could possibly ruin it.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Sad Puppy,

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with your results. Also curious where did you visit in order to download and flash your Dell Precision T5400 Bios?

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Stephen Holm
    Monday, October 27, 2008 6:50 PM