Need to replace my defective copy of WHS2011 - MS website sending me around in circles! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a home file storage server, and purchased a copy of Windows Home Server 2011 from an online retailer. I have been unable to get the DVD to install. It keeps getting part way through the process and then either telling me that there was some type of error, or simply giving me a BSOD - the install log doesn't yield anything helpful and the BSODs are not all the same, nor do the errors happen at the same time for each installation attempt. Additionally, I've tried the DVD in a different computer, and the same thing happened.

This leads me to believe that the DVD I have is defective. Unfortunately, the retailer's return deadline for software is just 15 days and I am now beyond that. So, I'm trying to figure out how to convince MS to send me a new copy. 

The MS support web site has proved to be entirely useless. Here are the steps I've tried:

1. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb, which is a page called "How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware". 

2. The second section of information on that page says "To order a replacement for supplemental item, call our Contact Centre," with "Contact Centre" being another link. I click that link and it takes me to what appears to be a generic Microsoft help/contact page - here: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ln=en-gb

3. On that page, I then expanded the first section, which is labelled "Microsoft Support - help for products and services"

4. I then clicked the link labelled "Hardware and Software replacements - How to replace hardware or software"

5. This took me right back to the page I found in #1. Awesome. Someone please help me... this server is a pretty expensive waste of space right now.

Thanks for looking.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:06 AM

Answers

• Call Customer Service; the number is on the page you linked.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:23 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 12:15 AM

All replies

• On a desktop/laptop with a working DVD-drive, install the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. Then use the tool to copy the WHS2011 DVD onto the USB stick and then use the USB drive to install WHS2011.

Luc.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:12 PM
  • On a desktop/laptop with a working DVD-drive, install the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. Then use the tool to copy the WHS2011 DVD onto the USB stick and then use the USB drive to install WHS2011.

Luc.

Ok - I'm trying this now.  However, I don't mean to sound rude or anything - but how will this solve my problem if the DVD is bad in the first place?
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:00 PM
  • It won't, but it would at least confirm that your DVD is indeed bad. Another way to confirm it might be if you can't rip it to your computer's hard drive. I would use free ImgBurn in Read mode to try to make an .iso file on HDD. If there are unreadable sectors on the DVD ImgBurn will tell you in its log file.

If it does rip successfully to HDD, then you could use e.g. YUMI or XBOOT to put the .iso on a USB stick and perform the install, which is essentially what Luc has suggested.

• Edited by maxblack Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Call Customer Service; the number is on the page you linked.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:23 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 12:15 AM