Outlook .pst files backed up with OneCare now appear to have .dbx extensions..... RRS feed

• Question

• what happened to my .pst files?

I have run a total OneCare backup of my computer on 11/30/07.  My computer crashed a week later and I have since recovered my HP totally excepting four years of my Outlook history.  I have saved the 'specific' Outlook folder from  the back up OneCare disk to my hard drive and have attempted to import from this point directly into Outlook 2007 - no dice!  I get 'file access denied'. I can actually view the individual files I need to import by following the root tree, however, each individual file has a .dbx extension, instead of .pst.  Does this mean I need to import the files to Outlook Express?  What happened to my .pst files?

ReBell

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 3:47 PM

Answers

• The .dbx files are Outlook Express files. Your .pst files are likely in another location from the restore.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:10 AM

All replies

• The .dbx files are Outlook Express files. Your .pst files are likely in another location from the restore.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:10 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I'm a computer novice and bought the Windows Live OneCare to back up my Windows XP Professional PC with the SP2.  I'm glad because my PC crashed.  Everything was Restore great except for my emails, contacts, and calendar.  I see them all in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Restore\1-3-2008 folder but I am unable to Import anything to my Outook 2003.  I click on the "How do I import my restored email?" link and I get the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /help.aspx

Can you please help me?  I'm really am a novice and really need my information.

Thanks,

Matt Bielecki

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:45 PM
  • I'm not sure why you got that error when clicking the link for Help. Are you using Internet Explorer as your browser? Where did you find the link for how to import restored email?

Anyway, these are the instructions from the Help pages:

Import restored e-mail

After you use Windows Live OneCare to restore e-mail files from a backup, you must import the restored files into your e-mail program before you can access them. E-mail programs usually store your e-mail messages in special files that can be used only by the program that created them.

Import restored e-mail in Microsoft Outlook Express 6
     Import restored e-mail in Microsoft Office Outlook

Import restored e-mail in Windows Mail

Friday, January 4, 2008 8:23 PM