none
help with activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I need some help activating my Win XP Pro. Me and my mom bought a used computer at a local computer store that came with Windows XP pro. We have been using it for almost 5 months now. Until recently everything was fine, but then we were ask to update and install some security Updates and we did, but then we got this msg saying our Windows XP version is not authnetic.

So i bough a OEM version of Windows XP at a Fry's computer store, but my question is do i have to do a clean install or can i use the code on the cd with out installing it? I just dont want to lose all the info on the computer. Please can someone advise which would be the best way to activate my Windows.
    Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:46 PM

Answers

• Macron74,

If you bought OEM XP Pro, Carey's link should work.

If you bought any other OEM XP, you will have to back up your data and then do a clean installation.

In your case, it would have been much better from a personal security point of view to have done a clean, Genuine installation of XP right after you purchased the computer.  Not doing so has left you potentially vulnerable to whatever malicious software may have been on the computer when you bought it.

Monday, October 1, 2007 2:04 AM

All replies

• Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Macron74,

If you bought OEM XP Pro, Carey's link should work.

If you bought any other OEM XP, you will have to back up your data and then do a clean installation.

In your case, it would have been much better from a personal security point of view to have done a clean, Genuine installation of XP right after you purchased the computer.  Not doing so has left you potentially vulnerable to whatever malicious software may have been on the computer when you bought it.

Monday, October 1, 2007 2:04 AM