3 Drive installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Gurus

I previously installed WHS on a 2 drive system (the second drive was not partitioned) and I selected the first drive for my installation drive. I ended up with that drive being divided into 2  logical drives.. not quite what I had planned.

I am rebuilding my system and have the following plan:-

1st HDD (C:) 500GB for System

2nd and 3rd HDD (D:) 2TB each for data storage 

The drives are all SATA2

1) How do I make sure that this is what I end up with and not a portion of the 1st drive divided up into C: and the first part of D: ??

2) is it safe to allow all of the 4TB available for storage with duplication enabled on shares?

My current data drive failed and I have lost all of my data and I want to avoid this again.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:15 AM

Answers

• 1) How do I make sure that this is what I end up with and not a portion of the 1st drive divided up into C: and the first part of D: ??

You can't. In Windows Home Server V1, moving the primary data partition off of the system drive is difficult, unsupported, and not recommended. In Windows Home Server 2011, it's still unsupported, but you can achieve much the same result like this:

• Install as normal.
    • When complete, use the dashboard to move everything to a different drive.
    • Delete the second partition on the system drive.
    • Expand the system partition to fill the drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by stickly Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:54 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:20 AM
  • My current data drive failed and I have lost all of my data and I want to avoid this again.

Assuming you are talking about WHS1, make sure you have more than one data drive and have "Duplication" switched on for all the shares you care about. Incidentally, there is no real reason why you need to move data off the first drive as you plan and as Ken says is unsupported and not recommended.

If you are talking about WHS2011, there is no duplication, so you would need to use one of your drives (or another drive) for server backup (including your data) to ensure there are two copies of your data somewhere. It is also advisable to rotate a server backup offsite for those unexpected floods, fires etc.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by stickly Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:55 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Jeff

20GB for WHS1 and 60GB for WHS2011 - the rest is allocated to data storage.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by stickly Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:57 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:55 AM

All replies

• 1) How do I make sure that this is what I end up with and not a portion of the 1st drive divided up into C: and the first part of D: ??

You can't. In Windows Home Server V1, moving the primary data partition off of the system drive is difficult, unsupported, and not recommended. In Windows Home Server 2011, it's still unsupported, but you can achieve much the same result like this:

• Install as normal.
    • When complete, use the dashboard to move everything to a different drive.
    • Delete the second partition on the system drive.
    • Expand the system partition to fill the drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by stickly Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:54 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:20 AM
  • My current data drive failed and I have lost all of my data and I want to avoid this again.

Assuming you are talking about WHS1, make sure you have more than one data drive and have "Duplication" switched on for all the shares you care about. Incidentally, there is no real reason why you need to move data off the first drive as you plan and as Ken says is unsupported and not recommended.

If you are talking about WHS2011, there is no duplication, so you would need to use one of your drives (or another drive) for server backup (including your data) to ensure there are two copies of your data somewhere. It is also advisable to rotate a server backup offsite for those unexpected floods, fires etc.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by stickly Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:55 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Thanks Ken for your advice. I guess I just wanted to ensure that I had maximum space for my system drive.

Is there some rule that the install uses in determining what the system partition size vs the primary data partition size is? like is it a 50/50 break up?

Cheers

Jeff

Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Thanks to you to Phil!

I plan on maintaining a backup plan on the server itself for the family shares like photos, videos, documents etc. I used to use tapes but now with the cost of HDD its not worth it.

The back drive will be rotated with one in my office.. ie off site!!

As I said to Ken, I just wanted to have a reasonable space on my C: drive for other software installation and the old rule of running the system drive well under 70% capacity.

Thanks again..

Jeff

Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Jeff

20GB for WHS1 and 60GB for WHS2011 - the rest is allocated to data storage.

• Marked as answer by stickly Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:57 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:55 AM