none
Backup cleanup hangs RRS feed

• Question

• My home server is running out of space so I went to the backup cleanup screen (in settings) and tried to start a cleanup.  It gets about a half an inch through and then never completes.  I left it for 3 days and nothing happened.  How do I get backup cleanup to work?  I'm considering adding another terabyte to this server and am hoping that it can start to automatically clean up the backups.   
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    if you have installed the WHS Toolkit 1.0, there is a button to reset the backup database.
    This will unfortunately delete the entire database, but since cleanup seems to hang, there may be some corruption in these files. You could also try a Repair before (which is located in the Backup section of Settings).
    You could also check the event log of the WHS and the logs in %qlogs% (just type that so in Start/Run on your WHS to open the folder behind the variable) for related error messages.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ted_ Friday, October 31, 2008 1:09 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:09 AM

All replies

• Are you running PP1?  Have you tried manually removing the backups?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:48 AM
  •  Yes, I am running PP1.  I'm not sure what you mean by manually removing the backups. In the view backups page I have the following options: "manage automatically", "keep this backup", and "delete at the next backup cleanup".  I have all the backups that I want to get rid of marked as "delete at the next backup cleanup".  Then I try to initiate a backup cleanup in Settings - Backup, and press the "cleanup now" button.  This is what fails.  If there's some other way you know of to manually remove the backups, it'd be great to hear,

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Hi,
    if you have installed the WHS Toolkit 1.0, there is a button to reset the backup database.
    This will unfortunately delete the entire database, but since cleanup seems to hang, there may be some corruption in these files. You could also try a Repair before (which is located in the Backup section of Settings).
    You could also check the event log of the WHS and the logs in %qlogs% (just type that so in Start/Run on your WHS to open the folder behind the variable) for related error messages.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ted_ Friday, October 31, 2008 1:09 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:09 AM