WHS and Squeezebox Server - anyone tried this? RRS feed

• Question

• I am taking the plunge into Internet radio and am looking at the Logiteck Squeezebox Radio. It seems to get mixed reviews but lets stick to WHS relevant advice.

To play 'networked' music it is necessary to install Squeezebox Server onto 'your PC'. As all my media is on WHS has anyone tried installing the software and streaming to any Squeezebox device?

Also, WHS can stream to does anyone know if a Squezzebox can pick this up natively without the server  software.

And finally, if I install the Squeezebox server software is WHS support affected?

Thanks

p.s. FYI I do not want to stream to any iTunes app/device
    Monday, January 25, 2010 11:27 AM

Answers

• Installing Squeezebox Server can be done; see e.g. this search in the forums. I can't tell you if a Squeezebox client can pick up the Windows Home Server native streaming, however.

As for Windows Home Server support, if you have an OEM server (from HP, etc.) you should check with them. Most likely the answer will be some variation on "We support what we delivered. If you install additional software, we don't support that, and if that additional software causes issues with software we delivered, we won't support those issues." There is no free support from Microsoft; if you built your own server, you installed system builder software, and became your own support. The MIcrosoft web site has a section devoted to Windows Home Server with some support links, downloads, technical briefs, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:05 PM