none
This copy of Windows is not genuine after installing XP then formatting that partition. RRS feed

• Question

• So, I've read a lot of topics about this issue, but none of those solutions worked. Heres the deal.

I started off with a good, genuine Alienware computer. It was activated for months. I can't find the product key anywhere, but all I know is that it worked since March 2010. I create a partition for XP, I install XP, then decide to delete that partition and add the unallocated space to the pre-installed Windows 7 partition. I reboot then I get the dreaded "This copy of Windows is not genuine" message, and I have no choice to call microsoft. I click cancel and I can still use my computer, but I still have that watermark and it keeps reminding me that it is "not genuine". I'm trying to avoid wiping my computer, and I have tried the following:

Going into regedit to MountedDevices and deleting those binary strings.

Going to cmd.exe with elevated and typing slui /ato, and doing the slui/ (I'm not sure, but it brought up a dialog box.)

I'm really stuck. Please help ASAP! Thanks in advance!

Below are the diagnostics:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 50

Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T7KBY-9FQB6-V9R8H

Windows Product Key Hash: N/z/FGEFTZfX9pbGf3aabGCExBc=

Windows Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00191

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003

ID: {B7933016-3A52-44CA-BE9A-B2D5C4A99982}(1)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Product Name: Windows 7 Home Premium

Architecture: 0x00000009

Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621

TTS Error: 

Validation Diagnostic: 

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 8\firefox.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{DE6923DF-6F4C-4AB1-81CE-6858CE69F171}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-V9R8H</PKey><PID>00359-OEM-8992687-00191</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-767955941-1606909994-1357499524</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><Model>Aurora</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><Version>A10</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20091028000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DFBB3607018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>_ASUS_</OEMID><OEMTableID>Notebook</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->

Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel

Activation ID: d2c04e90-c3dd-4260-b0f3-f845f5d27d64

Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f

Extended PID: 00359-00178-926-800191-02-1033-7600.0000-3342010

Installation ID: 018911067090303780456940424844259584592362694722566724

Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338

Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339

Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341

Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340

Partial Product Key: V9R8H

License Status: Notification

Notification Reason: 0xC004F07C.

Remaining Windows rearm count: 3

Trusted time: 1/2/2011 8:08:12 PM

Windows Activation Technologies-->

HrOffline: 0x00000000

HrOnline: 0xC004C533

HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000

Event Time Stamp: 1:2:2011 20:05

ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->

HWID Hash Current: LAAAAAEAAAABAAEAAQACAAAAAQABAAEACrbeAySlLM6yZt65JF26Wa5Y6oI=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes

Windows marker version: 0x0

OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes

BIOS Information: 

ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value

APIC ALWARE ALIENWRE

FACP ALWARE ALIENWRE

HPET ALWARE MI09    

MCFG ALWARE MI09    

SLIC _ASUS_ Notebook

OEMB ALWARE ALIENWRE

SSDT DpgPmm CpuPm

ASPT ALWARE PerfTune

WDTT ALWARE OEMWDTT 

Monday, January 3, 2011 12:56 AM

Answers

• "LVTravel" wrote in message news:f341cf9a-9696-46b2-9f8f-1d4a75c047ef...

SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><Model>Aurora</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

SLIC _ASUS_Notebook

From the information that I can find the product key used for this Win 7 Home Premium install is from a Dell OEM installation disk that has been hacked to allow it to be installed onto this Alienware computer.  It is an illegal install. 

As you can't find any COA sticker on the computer it isn't legally licensed for ANY OEM version of Windows.  That missing COA sticker would tell you what version of Windows the computer was licensed for when it came from Alienware and is required by Microsoft to be attached to the computer when the OS is installed.

You may be able to contact Alienware with the computer's serial number and find out what version of Windows shipped with the computer but until you can produce a COA sticker you don't have a legal version installed. They may be able to provide a set of recovery media to allow you to become legal.

Otherwise you will need to purchase a full retail installation of Win 7 to become legal.

I am sure that if any of the information above is incorrect either Darrin or one of the other frequent assistants on this forum will provide corrected information.

@ LVTravel - FYI, Dell bought Alienware some time ago.

The SLIC here is one for an ASUS computer - so you are still right in that the BIOS had been hacked - maybe a misread on your part?

It's certainly a strange report - the BIOS is dated well after the release of Win7, but the SLIC is a Vista one, and yet it has Win7 installed.
    Someone has been playing with this system in some way!

@ TheGeek101
    Your COA sticker should be on the case somewhere, unless Dell have decided to hide these inside somewhere (as they now do with laptops).
    Since the machine has obviously been hacked in some way, I would be very suspicious of its 'ownership' and recommend a clean install using the manufacturer's recovery disks, after backing up your data to an external drive.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by gustheintern Monday, January 3, 2011 9:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by gustheintern Monday, January 3, 2011 9:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by gustheintern Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:11 AM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:43 AM
  • I have just finished reformatting + reinstalling 7. IT WORKS!

I think, (I'm probably wrong) it was a virus, although I had AVG and I only downloaded from trusted sources. Must have been an email.

With all that aside, my computer is working perfect. I'm still shocked, though, at Alienware not including the Product Key on the side of the computer. Meh.

I will certainly build my own computers with parts from newegg, or sorts. Noel, thank you for all your help. I hope you had a happy holiday and a great new year.

THANKS AGAIN!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:11 AM

All replies

• Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T7KBY-9FQB6-V9R8H

SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><Model>Aurora</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

SLIC _ASUS_Notebook

From the information that I can find the product key used for this Win 7 Home Premium install is from a Dell OEM installation disk that has been hacked to allow it to be installed onto this Alienware computer.  It is an illegal install. 

As you can't find any COA sticker on the computer it isn't legally licensed for ANY OEM version of Windows.  That missing COA sticker would tell you what version of Windows the computer was licensed for when it came from Alienware and is required by Microsoft to be attached to the computer when the OS is installed.

You may be able to contact Alienware with the computer's serial number and find out what version of Windows shipped with the computer but until you can produce a COA sticker you don't have a legal version installed. They may be able to provide a set of recovery media to allow you to become legal.

Otherwise you will need to purchase a full retail installation of Win 7 to become legal.

I am sure that if any of the information above is incorrect either Darrin or one of the other frequent assistants on this forum will provide corrected information.

Monday, January 3, 2011 4:15 AM
  • "LVTravel" wrote in message news:f341cf9a-9696-46b2-9f8f-1d4a75c047ef...

SLIC _ASUS_Notebook

@ LVTravel - FYI, Dell bought Alienware some time ago.

The SLIC here is one for an ASUS computer - so you are still right in that the BIOS had been hacked - maybe a misread on your part?

It's certainly a strange report - the BIOS is dated well after the release of Win7, but the SLIC is a Vista one, and yet it has Win7 installed.
    Someone has been playing with this system in some way!

@ TheGeek101
    Your COA sticker should be on the case somewhere, unless Dell have decided to hide these inside somewhere (as they now do with laptops).
    Since the machine has obviously been hacked in some way, I would be very suspicious of its 'ownership' and recommend a clean install using the manufacturer's recovery disks, after backing up your data to an external drive.

--

• Marked as answer by gustheintern Monday, January 3, 2011 9:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by gustheintern Monday, January 3, 2011 9:29 PM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Noel, when I installed XP, I inserted the Alienware Resources Disk, and when I installed the Alienware Command Center (Controls the lights on the sides, fan speeds, etc) It did indeed downgrade to a lower version. I may have accidentally installed the Vista Drivers instead of the XP (if it had any). I also installed a new BIOS firmware upgrade, so that will explain it. (Hopefully) It was A04, upgraded to A10. 

In all honesty, this is a perfectly legal copy. Upon further inspection, there is indeed NO STICKER with the product key on or in the case. I have neither time nor patience to deal with Dell's slow and lousy support, (took a 3 hour phone call to get a straight answer on what part is delaying my machine.) I have dealt with them and learned my lesson. I will reluctantly backup and reformat my system. 

WAIT, since it's an OEM copy and I accidentally downgraded my MOBO software, that must have triggered an alarm. 

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:21 PM
  • "TheGeek101" wrote in message news:0bb07510-223b-468e-a80c-981e2dab04d7...

Noel, when I installed XP, I inserted the Alienware Resources Disk, and when I installed the Alienware Command Center (Controls the lights on the sides, fan speeds, etc) It did indeed downgrade to a lower version. I may have accidentally installed the Vista Drivers instead of the XP (if it had any). I also installed a new BIOS firmware upgrade, so that will explain it. (Hopefully) It was A04, upgraded to A10. 

In all honesty, this is a perfectly legal copy. Upon further inspection, there is indeed NO STICKER with the product key on or in the case. I have neither time nor patience to deal with Dell's slow and lousy support, (took a 3 hour phone call to get a straight answer on what part is delaying my machine.) I have dealt with them and learned my lesson. I will reluctantly backup and reformat my system. 

WAIT, since it's an OEM copy and I accidentally downgraded my MOBO software, that must have triggered an alarm. 

By their contract with MS, Dell/Alienware are required to affix a COA sticker to all machines onto which they install MS software. If the sticker is not present now, then someone has removed it.
    You need to update your BIOS to one which is valid for your OS - the current A10 version appears to be

Reformatting is unlikely to make any difference, if you reinstall with the same disks as were recently used, since they appear to have been hacked ASUS install disks.
    The disk you need for the install is the Alienware Operating System disk - anything else will continue to give problems.
    BEFORE you consider that, you need to update your BIOS again - this time to one which is compliant with the Operating System with which you intend to reinstall the system - again, nothing else will work.
    If you go to the Dell site, and enter your System Tag code, you should be offered the correct BIOS update for your machine - it's not necessarily the latest!
    You MUST make sure that the update is compatible with your installed OS - otherwise you'll be in an even worse state than now, and your OS won't even install.
    I really do recommend talking to Dell about this - it's a potential nightmare!

--

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:45 PM
  • To be clear, I reinstalled the OS once using the disk that came with my computer. I have never owned an ASUS product. 

When I update the Command Center to the version I found under my service tag, it tells me that it's "Updating Board", but right next to it it says "(No Board Detected)"

The A10 BIOS appears to be the current version for my model.

I'll give reinstalling a shot. I'll post back to my results.

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:30 PM
  • "TheGeek101" wrote in message news:f81dddde-57f0-4752-aa44-d30b121a8102...

To be clear, I reinstalled the OS once using the disk that came with my computer. I have never owned an ASUS product. 

When I update the Command Center to the version I found under my service tag, it tells me that it's "Updating Board", but right next to it it says "(No Board Detected)"

The A10 BIOS appears to be the current version for my model.

Perhaps - but the version that you have installed is NOT apparently Vista-compliant, and therefore does not support OEM_SLP activation. Until you find your COA Key, then you have to either rely on OEM_SLP activation, or install a new retail product.

CALL Dell - I can guarantee you will otherwise end up with three days to activate your machine, and will be very unlikely to be able to do so.

--

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Here's the thing.

Last time, it didn't even ask me for a product key, it just activated. (OEM Magic?)

I'll call Dell if that doesn't work. 

I also want to switch my RAID level setting, so this is kind of a good thing.

If all else fails, I do have a retail copy of 7 lying around. I can always use that.

I'm sorry, it's just that Dell Support is a complete nightmare. (My warranty also expired. I vow to build my own PC's from this point on.

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:58 PM
  • "TheGeek101" wrote in message news:ba7e017e-2efa-40e4-821f-55e5995f7cef...

I'm sorry, it's just that Dell Support is a complete nightmare. (My warranty also expired. I vow to build my own PC's from this point on.

OEM_SLP keys self-activate - and they are what the recovery disk is supposed to use. The success of this self-activation depends on the BIOS, and the certificates in the OEM disk, and it's this that is the problem with your current install.
    IKWYM about support people - I always avoid them if I can, or try to get to second-level as quickly as possible, where the people at least have some vague idea what they are talking about.

--

Monday, January 3, 2011 11:44 PM
  • I have just finished reformatting + reinstalling 7. IT WORKS!

I think, (I'm probably wrong) it was a virus, although I had AVG and I only downloaded from trusted sources. Must have been an email.

With all that aside, my computer is working perfect. I'm still shocked, though, at Alienware not including the Product Key on the side of the computer. Meh.

I will certainly build my own computers with parts from newegg, or sorts. Noel, thank you for all your help. I hope you had a happy holiday and a great new year.

THANKS AGAIN!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:11 AM
  • "TheGeek101" wrote in message news:40807945-f2d6-42f6-b20f-53021b8c32a7...

I have just finished reformatting + reinstalling 7. IT WORKS!

THANKS AGAIN!

God news, at last - please post a new MGADiag report so that we can check that all is well, and you're not just in limbo!

--

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Noel, Sorry for not getting back to you.

This is the new diagnostic:

Validation Code: 0
    ID: {000CA430-FC53-49B3-A27A-7ADBD1F2A9E7}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 8\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{000CA430-FC53-49B3-A27A-7ADBD1F2A9E7}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-V9R8H</PKey><PID>00359-OEM-8992687-00191</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3292400945-290728114-3381235199</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><Model>Aurora</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Alienware</Manufacturer><Version>A10</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20091028000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>92BB3607018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>ALWARE</OEMID><OEMTableID>ALIENWRE</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: d2c04e90-c3dd-4260-b0f3-f845f5d27d64
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00359-00178-926-800191-02-1033-7600.0000-0032011
    Installation ID: 005662010276044192047034404712378256998562373984658014
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: V9R8H
    License Status: Licensed
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 1/18/2011 10:38:47 AM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 1:5:2011 18:36
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: LgAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAACAAAAAQABAAEACrbeAySlqn+QpfCdsmYkXbpZrljqgg==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            ALWARE        ALIENWRE
      FACP            ALWARE        ALIENWRE
      HPET            ALWARE        MI09   
      MCFG            ALWARE        MI09   
      SLIC            ALWARE        ALIENWRE
      OEMB            ALWARE        ALIENWRE
      SSDT            DpgPmm        CpuPm
      ASPT            ALWARE        PerfTune
      WDTT            ALWARE        OEMWDTT

Seems like it was an interesting virus. I am thinking of calling up Dell and asking to replace the system board, when I reinstalled Windows and installed the Alienware Application, it DOWNGRADED my mobo's firmware. I read it up on the Alienware forums on Dell.com and hidden away there is a warning to NOT use the resource DVD version of their application. Great. I can do without the lights, the system lies on the floor, but the thing is the fans are stuck on one speed. It's quite loud, but temps have been better than ever.

I'm planning on selling this PC and building my own rig, I'm tired of buying terrible retail machines.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:48 PM
  • "TheGeek101" wrote in message news:1d9ba62f-655f-4b6c-b4d6-b42c31606d97...

Noel, Sorry for not getting back to you.

This is the new diagnostic:

Validation Code: 0

Seems like it was an interesting virus. I am thinking of calling up Dell and asking to replace the system board, when I reinstalled Windows and installed the Alienware Application, it DOWNGRADED my mobo's firmware. I read it up on the Alienware forums on Dell.com and hidden away there is a warning to NOT use the resource DVD version of their application. Great. I can do without the lights, the system lies on the floor, but the thing is the fans are stuck on one speed. It's quite loud, but temps have been better than ever.

I'm planning on selling this PC and building my own rig, I'm tired of buying terrible retail machines.

The report looks good to me (don't worry about the delay - I had a few hundred other threads to keep me going in the meantime<g>).
    I really am surprised at the stuff you post about the firmware - it's VERY unusual for a company to do this!
    Maybe they really want you to start again from scratch (but I suspect SNAFU, rather than deliberation.)
    A BIOS update should get around that - but may bollix up the SLIC, so be careful about that!

--

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:01 PM
  • I've looked that up. According to CPU-Z, the BOIS is the current version, A10, but it thinks it was released on 10/28/09. A10 came out in November. Also, BIOS cannot be upgraded. I need to have their application to upgrade it, and, in turn, that application doesn't work!

I'm not going to complain, though. The fans are stuck on one speed, and, to be honest, temps have been a few C lower than normal. The water pump is faster as well, meaning cooler cpu! I really don't mind it. In about 30 days I'll have sufficient funding to build myself a new rig.  That way I'll have no one to blame but myself if something is wrong. I'll also know my own product key...

I should have taken the hint when it took 3 months for them to ship this computer.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:15 AM
  • "TheGeek101" wrote in message news:73cc6545-a47e-4a2f-b69e-229fd2f93a85...

I've looked that up. According to CPU-Z, the BOIS is the current version, A10, but it thinks it was released on 10/28/09. A10 came out in November. Also, BIOS cannot be upgraded. I need to have their application to upgrade it, and, in turn, that application doesn't work!

I'm not going to complain, though. The fans are stuck on one speed, and, to be honest, temps have been a few C lower than normal. The water pump is faster as well, meaning cooler cpu! I really don't mind it. In about 30 days I'll have sufficient funding to build myself a new rig.  That way I'll have no one to blame but myself if something is wrong. I'll also know my own product key...

I should have taken the hint when it took 3 months for them to ship this computer.

At the time you're talking about Alienware was in the process of being bought out by Dell - with all the usual chaos that entails...
    Assuming your machine is a standard Aurora (rather than an R-2 or R-3, or ALX), then there's a later BIOS available at the Dell site - the A11, dated today!!

--

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:40 AM
  • No luck. Upgraded and d/led the latest command center version from dell's site. When I try to open Command Center, I get two errors.

One labeled "Error":

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Classes.CommunicationServiceClass.get_IsChassisSupportingVenting()
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.App.Presenters.NavigationPresenter.get_Links()
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.loading(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
       at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
       at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
       at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Another labeled "Thermal Controller":

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Classes.CommunicationServiceClass.get_IsChassisSupportingVenting()
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileProcessorClass.ExecuteVenting(Profile profile)
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileRepositoryClass.VentingExecute()
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ProfileManagerClass.Init()
       at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.processWindowsLoaded()
       at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
       at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
       at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
       at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
       at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

When I go straight to the FX editor (lights), and try to apply a new theme for lights, I get an error labeled "Alienware AlienFX"

The theme you are opening is not compatible with this computer.
    You will not be able to apply the theme.

I get another error after that labeled the same, but says

The device you have selected is included in the current theme but AlienFX cannot detect this device on your system.  Do you want to remove this device from the current theme?

When I click no or yes, nothing happens.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:35 PM
  • "TheGeek101" wrote in message news:f38efa68-6f11-439b-953a-ee68017a38c4...

No luck. Upgraded and d/led the latest command center version from dell's site. When I try to open Command Center, I get two errors.

One labeled "Error":

When I go straight to the FX editor (lights), and try to apply a new theme for lights, I get an error labeled "Alienware AlienFX"

The theme you are opening is not compatible with this computer.
    You will not be able to apply the theme.

I get another error after that labeled the same, but says

The device you have selected is included in the current theme but AlienFX cannot detect this device on your system.  Do you want to remove this device from the current theme?

When I click no or yes, nothing happens.

Those error messages look like .NET errors - and that's something I'm already wrestling with (and losing, I suspect) in another thread so I'm not gonna go there! <g> - I'll just point you at....
    ...and let you get on with it <vbeg>
    Is there any documentation of the FX software that specifies which version of .NET has to be installed?

--

Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:57 AM