WGA causing CPU usage jumps RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the new WGA "update" my computer has become very eratic...CPU usage keeps jumping from 2% to 50% and sometimes higher.  This is a constant up and down process.  Mouse movement is very jerky, other programs are slow to load due to memory being consumed by WGA.

Even when loggin on to Windows or signing off is affected.  Windows can't even play the start up and shut down wav files without cutting out.

Is anyone else experiencing this and how can I fix it?

Thursday, June 8, 2006 5:09 PM

Answers

• Paul:

This question does not seem WGA specific. In relation to potential hardware issues (sound card), I suggest contacting the manufacturer of your hardware. WGA *only* uses a very slight amount of CPU during logon, and only lasts approximately 1 minute.

-PHil Liu

Thursday, June 8, 2006 5:49 PM
  • I would like to close out this posting....after about 2 hours of work I traced the problem back to a faulty USB card (not the WGA upgrade - the original suspect).  The StarTech 2.0 USB card was causing CPU to continually "pulse" which of course affected everthing and generally made life miserable. 

Thanks for your input none-the-less.

Paul 

Thursday, June 8, 2006 7:19 PM

All replies

• Paul:

This question does not seem WGA specific. In relation to potential hardware issues (sound card), I suggest contacting the manufacturer of your hardware. WGA *only* uses a very slight amount of CPU during logon, and only lasts approximately 1 minute.

-PHil Liu

Thursday, June 8, 2006 5:49 PM
  • I would like to close out this posting....after about 2 hours of work I traced the problem back to a faulty USB card (not the WGA upgrade - the original suspect).  The StarTech 2.0 USB card was causing CPU to continually "pulse" which of course affected everthing and generally made life miserable. 

Thanks for your input none-the-less.

Paul 

Thursday, June 8, 2006 7:19 PM