Can't access file with forgotten Live ID (dealt with as best as can) RRS feed

• Question

• Last week Money 2007 would not take my LONG STANDING password @ sign-in page. Clicked link for "forgot password?" - took me to Windows Live & had me change password.  Back to Money - won't recognize new password.  Tried going back into Windows Live & changed password BACK to what I thought was my LONG STANDING password (problem w/letting system remember your password).  This still did not work - and I have tried every password I can think of - but NONE are working.

Information I found on another forum was excellent - If I could GET PAST my sign-in page - but I cannot.  Please don't tell me all hope is lost ;~{

Tried restoring BACKUPS; they want my password.  Downloaded but have not yet installed SUNSET version, info page it states installation will untinstall other Money programs!  Thus these questions:

1) If I install SUNSET, will data be pulled from current Money 2007?  If yes, will that eliminate the need for my password and solve my problem?

2) If it does NOT pull data, will it delete my existing program so that I loose the data?  If yes, how in the world to I fix this problem?

I do still have my disc for Money 2007 Deluxe and can reinstall - but I'd need some specific directions/assistance to insure I don't loose data.  I work extremely well WITHIN software, but I'm not a whiz at much else computer-wise.  I have been pushing bank statements down to Money (QIF) for the last several months and really only need Money as a check register, expenditure tracker, bill paying reminder, etc. sort of tool.  I do, however, desperately need the finacial data stored therein for 2010 tax preparation.

I would welcome any assistance as it is CRITICAL that I get into my program to retrive my account information.

2ofUs
    • Split by Cal LearnerModerator Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:42 PM Dealing with special problem rather than topic of sticky thread.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:33 AM

Answers

• No, only the ones that matched up with the *.mny you had me search.  Actually, when I clicked NEXT in the 2005, it did NOT save a file, nor did it do the upgrade - simply opened up the Money file.  In retrospect, I believe I should have opted to have it make a new file so that it would complete the upgrade. 

I ended up just loading in the 2007 new and started with a clean slate.  As you suggested, I got as much data downloaded as I could - bank checking/savings, credit cards, utilities, loans, mortgage, car payments, car insurance, investments - pretty much everything we pay on a monthly or semi-monthly basis.  Some did not have downloadable statements or maybe only 1 -2 months worth.  One credit card only downloaded to Quicken or Quicken books.

Still have some tweeking to do and I'm sure there are more I have left out.  I sure hate not having access to nearly 9 years of a check register.  Many times I tried to figure out a way to print out that information but never could.  Would have been nice and I found that an odd feature not to have.  In fact, maybe I'm wrong and there is a way - do you know how to print out my account lists or register? 

Thanks again for all you assistance and support.  Are you going to be tending to the forum for a while yet?  At least until 1/31/11 - and perhaps beyond?

2ofUs
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:15 AM

All replies

• You did not say you tried disconnecting from the internet, starting Money and then entering your old credentials to log in offline. If that did not work, I don't know of any solution that does not require you to know your old credentials.

Sunset will not  eliminate the need for your password. It won't make your situation worse, but it will not help in this case.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Another thought - if I INSTALL Money from my CD (noticed that there is no key code anywhere on the CD or package, but do have my Money 2005 Std key code and I upgraded to 2007 from that) is there a way to download my 'stored' information from MSN Money before 1/31/11?
    2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Another thought - if I INSTALL Money from my CD (noticed that there is no key code anywhere on the CD or package, but do have my Money 2005 Std key code and I upgraded to 2007 from that) is there a way to download my 'stored' information from MSN Money before 1/31/11?
    2ofUs

I am not sure. Try searching your computer for any *.mny files with this command in a command window: dir \*.mny /s

There might be such a file from a previous use of MSN Money. I don't know that it would help. But if you find such a file, it may be of use. I can't see how Money 2005 is  going to be part of any solution.

You still did not say you tried disconnecting from the internet, starting Money and then entering your old credentials to log in offline.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Cal, thanks for responding.  I have been fretting over this for nearly a week and am at a loss as to what to do next.

I did try the "disconnect, reopen" method and used what I thought was my old password, but that did not work either.  My biggest problem is not being able to remember or recover my original password.  I had stored it in my PDA, but the date was from 2007. It was a very secure (complicated) password for security (ha!) so I didn't change it, nor do I enter it manually since I am the only one using my computer.  Unfortunately, that has resulted in this current problem. If I find the dir \ *.mny /s, how would that be of use in finding my password?

If I find the dir \ *.mny /s, how would that be of use?

As I am understanding what you are saying: Sunset will migrate my information from Money 2007 but NOT without my providing the old  password?  I was just concerned if Sunset uninstalls my Money 2007 and doesn't migrated info, I'll have nothing left.

I mentioned 2005 since I have a product key for that version, could reinstall, then reinstall my 2007 upgrade (don't have it's key) to see if I can download my information from MSN Money while that feature is still available.

But as of now, basically, if I cannot come up with a possibly long-forgotten password, I am just stranded?

2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Forgot to ask - HOW do I "Try searching your computer for any *.mny files with this command in a command window: dir \*.mny /s"???

I know how to use the search function, but am unsure how to do what you are asking.  Is it something done through DOS?  I have done that before but would need a quick update, step-by-step assistance.  Sorry to impose but I would truly appreciate help.

We live in the midwest (CDT time zone) and it is 6am here.  I'll be home until about 7:30, then back again at noon.  If you'd like I can provide my email address or home phone and would gladly reimburse for any cost you may incur. 

Boy, I do sound desperate don't I?  Well, I have been getting by on about 2-3 hours sleep for the last several days due to the worry this is causing me.  My hubby is not at all techie and we are both in our 60s, so I'm 'peddling as fast as I can' to get this handled.  Do you think calling in someone from say Best Buy Geek Squad would be of any use?

2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Forgot to ask - HOW do I "Try searching your computer for any *.mny files with this command in a command window: dir \*.mny /s"???

Start|Run enter "cmd" and you will get a command prompt window. There are other ways to search as well. This is just one of the more comprehensive ways.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:03 PM
  • C:Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents = 01/06/06 "My Money 05.mny"

C:Program files\Microsoft Money 2007 = 05/24/06 "sample.mny"

C:Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared Documents = 11/24/06 "My New Money 05.mny"

C:Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop = 01/12/11 "Money 07.mny"

This is what I found, listed in chronological order.  The 1/12/11 is my most current - the first log-in to which my password was missing and I have been unsuccessful getting past sign-in.  Anything I can do from here?

Also, if I deleted ALL Money files and reinstall my Money 2007, would this give me an opportunity to create a new password and then allow me to download the most current SAVED information from MSN while it is still available?  I could then recreated/re-enter all data since October - better than starting completely over. 

If this is a possibility, please instructs as to HOW I would do that download from MSN (never did that, nor accessed Money online).

2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:30 PM

C:Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared Documents = 11/24/06 "My New Money 05.mny"

This is what I found, listed in chronological order.  The 1/12/11 is my most current - the first log-in to which my password was missing and I have been unsuccessful getting past sign-in.  Anything I can do from here?

Also, if I deleted ALL Money files and reinstall my Money 2007, would this give me an opportunity to create a new password and then allow me to download the most current SAVED information from MSN while it is still available?  I could then recreated/re-enter all data since October - better than starting completely over. 

If this is a possibility, please instructs as to HOW I would do that download from MSN (never did that, nor accessed Money online).

2ofUs
    t will be impossible to get your old info back without the password that it was saved under.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:22 PM

2ofUs

My reason for suggesting that search was that a prior version of MSN Money left a *.mny file in place. You did not use that, so it is not there. If there is any chance that you entered your old credentials into a file on your computer, you could search your computer for files that contain a snippet of what you remember of the old credentials. I like an application called "Agent Ransack" for such searches. It is more thorough than the Vista or Windows 7 searches. I know the name sounds weird. But really, I expect you have already searched any place that you might have written down your old info.

Here is the unwanted truth, as I understand it. Your best action now is to keep paper and pencil by the bed in case you suddenly remember your old credentials. Uninstall Sunset for now. Install Money 2007. Create a new file with a different filename than you have used previously. Put no password on it, or maybe use a conventional password. Set up as many accounts as you can for direct access, and download all of the available transactions. Create a single compensating transaction for each account. The direct downloads cannot be done with Money Plus Sunset. Then go to the websites of your other institutions, and download as much data as you can from them.

If you remember your old credentials in the future, write that info down. If Money Plus Deluxe changed your Money 2007 file, it kept a copy of your Money 2007 file as *.m16. You would copy that file to *.mny if you want to access your old file with Money 2007. You would need your old credentials to access that, and I think you want to disconnect from the internet and sign in offline each time you want to try to log into your old file with a potentially remembered email address and password.

I wish I had some solution for you and for others in your situation.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Thanks again, Cal.  I don't have Money Plus Deluxe, just Money 2007 Deluxe.  Since my Money 2005 is still installed, just not in use - saved it when I upgraded to 2007, it would still have the old password connected to it, right?  If so, and I can log into that version, could I change my password somewhere so that it would open 2007?

I also found (with the My Money 05) a Money.M14 and a My Money Backup test.mbf - I believe these were done to insure the 2005 was savely saved before I did my upgrade.  Any help there?

I have copied/pasted all your advise into a word account & will work with things over the next few days & check back with you then.

2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Thanks again, Cal.  I don't have Money Plus Deluxe, just Money 2007 Deluxe.  Since my Money 2005 is still installed, just not in use - saved it when I upgraded to 2007, it would still have the old password connected to it, right?  If so, and I can log into that version, could I change my password somewhere so that it would open 2007?

I also found (with the My Money 05) a Money.M14 and a My Money Backup test.mbf - I believe these were done to insure the 2005 was savely saved before I did my upgrade.  Any help there?

I have copied/pasted all your advise into a word account & will work with things over the next few days & check back with you then.

2ofUs

Money.M14 is a copy of your Money 2005 file at the time of conversion. I don't know if it would have a saved LiveID credential in it. I would not know how to recover it if it were there. I have never worked for Microsoft. What I have learned about the Live ID is from some experiments I did on test files, and from people who posted their successes. I would hope you would be one of those. I don't feel it is likely, but that would be wonderful.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:57 PM
  • OKAY – just went to the My New Money 05.mny and it accepted my old password!!!  It has now taken me to THIS SCREEN and I am afraid to go any further without direction:

About upgrading your Money file

Money will convert your file so that you can work with it in Money 2007

[then say will make a copy, save it (gives address) then upgrade to Money 2007]

The first time you update Money online it may take longer than usual.

If you previously used a password with your Money file, use the same password to open the upgraded file in Money 2007.

Would you like to start a new file?  In the upper-left corner of your screen, click File, and then click new.

DO I WANT A NEW FILE OR DO I JUST CLICK NEXT?????

Also, when I click file it gives me the option of restoring a backup?  If I make that selection, will I be able to restore my backup of Money 2007 Deluxe from earlier this month?

2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Making a new file at that point won't help. If I understand correctly, you had to type in your credentials, and it was accepted. If so, that would indicate that you correctly remembered the credentials in effect 11/24/06.  This is a big thing I think. Write that down. You could continue with the file from there or upgrade to a later version. But you would have a file from 11/24/06.

At this point, I would consider removing the Live ID from that file. I am not sure what that would do for you except prove the procedure.

Your Money 2005 file could be converted by Money 2007 as well as Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. So a newer version can read the older version, but not vice versa. Maybe you should copy the *.mny and *.mbf files to other media, such as a USB flash drive, before continuing your work.

Where I think you want to go from here is to remember if you changed your Live ID since 11/24/06. If you did not, then I wonder why that same thing does not work on later files. Is it possible that you were mis-entering it when working with Money 2007 or Money Plus Deluxe Sunset? That would be the best situation.

Suppose you changed your LiveID at some point, and forgot the new credentials. In that case, you could try the credentials that you know on progressively newer files, until you find the newest file you can get into. Of course you could do the searching in any order. To look for backup files, you could search the same way as you did for *.mny files if you are not sure where all of the *.mbf (Money backup files) are.

Remember that files produced by a newer version cannot be read by an older version. Maybe you could install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on a different computer for trying your known credentials. Disconnect from the internet on that computer (pull the ethernet cable, unplug the router, or whatever). That seemed to help a several people. Then try each backup or .mny file. When restoring a backup, do not restore to the "default location", since that could overwrite a *.mny file. Instead Browse to your documents folder. Maybe choose names like hope1, hope2 etc. Go forward with the newest one that you can get into.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:53 PM
  • ·          QUOTING CAL:  "If I understand correctly, you had to type in your credentials, and it was accepted. If so, that would indicate you correctly remembered the credentials in effect 11/24/06.  (YES I DID.) This is a big thing I think. Write that down. You could continue with the file from there or upgrade to a later version. But you would have a file from 11/24/06." 

YES, I knew the password I was using for 11/24/06 and that is the same one I have been trying to use to get into 2007.   Unfortunately, I do remember changing it last year, but cannot remember it,nor where I recorded it, so, no, it isn't a typo - wish it were, I could sign in now to 2007 and be done with all this. 

At this point you say DON'T make a new file - just click NEXT and allow the system to upgrade from 2005 to 2007?  That SHOULD allow me to then do an update and sync with the online data?  And shouldn't I do this BEFORE I remove Live ID, otherwise I cannot upate?  And WHERE would I look for *.mny and *.mfb - in DOS or will they show up wherever the newly stored Money file will be?

2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Yes, next.

The Live ID was needed to download data from some FIs via Yodlee. That connection has gone away, so today there is no extra connectivity to be had by having a Live ID on your file. For those FIs that you did need the Live ID for, you may be able to get the information from the website of the FI. Look to download an OFX, QFX, or QIF file into Money. For each of those, you could save the file to your hard drive and then File->Import DownloadedStatement. For OFX or  QIF you may be able to just run them directly as an alternative.

You already searched for *.mny files. How can you search for all *.mbf files on your computer? Open a command window by entering cmd in the run box of your start menu,  or by using a shortcut from Programs->Accessories in your start menu. Once there, enter this command:

dir \*.mbf /s

You can search your USB flash drives the same way. Suppose your flash drive is g: In that case, you could search with

dir g:\*.mbf /s

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:54 PM
  • I was hoping to be able to get into 2005, drop Live ID, then somehow magically be able to get into my 2007.  But that doesn't happen.  All I got was info from pre 11/2006.  At least it is something, but it is in 2005.  Should I just try to QIF what I can then fill in the rest?  Then eventually install Sunset?  I will still be able to QIF into Sunset, right?
    2ofUs
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:44 PM
  • I was hoping to be able to get into 2005, drop Live ID, then somehow magically be able to get into my 2007.  But that doesn't happen.  All I got was info from pre 11/2006.  At least it is something, but it is in 2005.  Should I just try to QIF what I can then fill in the rest?  Then eventually install Sunset?  I will still be able to QIF into Sunset, right?

QIF from financial institutions such as Paypal, yes -- if OFX and QFX are not available from them.

QIF to get information from your Money 2005 file to Money 2007? No. The conversion to Money 2007 did that.

Yes, Sunset will let you import OFX, QFX and QIF files. What it will not let you do is to set up direct access. Your Money 2007 may have already timed out for that ... not sure. The main advantage that Sunset should have is if you had trouble reinstalling 2007 in the future.

You had no luck finding a *.mbf from 1.5 years ago I guess.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:56 PM
  • No, only the ones that matched up with the *.mny you had me search.  Actually, when I clicked NEXT in the 2005, it did NOT save a file, nor did it do the upgrade - simply opened up the Money file.  In retrospect, I believe I should have opted to have it make a new file so that it would complete the upgrade. 

I ended up just loading in the 2007 new and started with a clean slate.  As you suggested, I got as much data downloaded as I could - bank checking/savings, credit cards, utilities, loans, mortgage, car payments, car insurance, investments - pretty much everything we pay on a monthly or semi-monthly basis.  Some did not have downloadable statements or maybe only 1 -2 months worth.  One credit card only downloaded to Quicken or Quicken books.

Still have some tweeking to do and I'm sure there are more I have left out.  I sure hate not having access to nearly 9 years of a check register.  Many times I tried to figure out a way to print out that information but never could.  Would have been nice and I found that an odd feature not to have.  In fact, maybe I'm wrong and there is a way - do you know how to print out my account lists or register? 

Thanks again for all you assistance and support.  Are you going to be tending to the forum for a while yet?  At least until 1/31/11 - and perhaps beyond?

2ofUs
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:15 AM
  • You want to explore the reports. Try customizing, and save any of your favorites with a name. You can print a register with File->Print

If you do not see all of the reports listed, click
    Reports->ChangeReportSettings->SwitchFromEssentialToAdvancedReports

Here are some things I prefer: At the top of your Money screenclick Shortcuts at the top and add Reports, Portfolio, AccountList as a shortcut to make navigation shorter). Tools->Options->General and set the Display:StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a USB flash drive or CDR.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to
    Postpone.

I expect there will be a pickup in activity after Jan 31. I don't know if the Sunset downloads will disappear right away. Anyway, there will be an increase in people interested in PocketSense or other program to provide statements and/or quotes.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Cal, did you ever say if there is a way to PRINT out Money info to keep as a check register?  I tried a bunch of things but couldn't find it - perhaps a report of some type?  Thanks, Pam
    2ofUs  ---   NEVER MIND - just saw the answer you sent in my email.  Thanks
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:05 PM