Setting a workflow to email the user who triggered the workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

Here's the scenario I'm trying to solve...

We have various workflows set to send a series of timed emails to customers based on certain actions they take when they are on our website (our website is integrated with CRM).  I want to add validation to all of these workflows so that if the customer's record is set to "do not allow" email, an email is sent to someone internally to follow up with the customer by phone.

I've simplified for this example, but imagine that there are many steps involved with validating the customer's record before we start sending emails to them.

It's easy enough to add this validation to the start of all my workflows, but I think it makes more sense just to create the workflow once, as a child workflow, and it can be called from all my other workflows that require the validation.  The issue comes when I need to alert someone internally, because the alert emails don't all go to the same person.  Who the alert goes to depends on what action caused the initial workflow to trigger.

When I thought up the solution, I thought I was being clever by having the child workflow send the email to the User who triggered the system job, but when I went to build the workflow, the option to select that User wasn't available.

Is there a way that I can create an email from within a workflow, and have it send to the person who triggered the workflow?

Or, is the solution that I have to have the parent workflow save the User to a temp field that the child workflow can then use?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:57 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, you said, "It's easy enough to add this validation to the start of all my workflows, but I think it makes more sense just to create the workflow once, as a child workflow, and it can be called from all my other workflows that require the validation". I think you should put this logic in a custom workflow STEP. This custom step will then be available for any workflow you create and you can set it as the first step of any of your workflows.

Then, at the end of your workflow, you will add an email STEP and configure it as Guido suggested earlier through his link.

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by Zouma Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:22 AM
  • Thanks for the ideas guys.  I'm sorry, but I should have mentioned that I'm using CRM 4.0.  Any other thoughts?
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:42 PM