Archving/CDR & QOE Database Sizing RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I have been trying to search for information on the sizing of the above databases. I can't find much information regarding projecting future growth of the deployment. Any information, links would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:31 AM

All replies

• There is no sizing information about the Archiving Database(s) appart from the HW specs

In the planning guide you can find this information

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=723347c6-fa1f-44d8-a7fa-8974c3b596f4&displaylang=en

Hardware for Archiving and CDR Database

For the Archiving and CDR database server, the recommended hardware is as follows if only CDRs are enabled:

CPU

Dual processor, dual-core  2.6 GHz +

Disk

Drive 1 (2 × 18 GB) for OS and Page File
    Drive 2 (4 x 36GB, 15K RPM, RAID 0+1) for database log file

Drive3 (4 x 36GB, 15K RPM, RAID 0+1) for database file

Cache

2 MB L2 per core

Memory

4 GB (CDR only)

Network

GBit NIC

Additional memory and disk capacity is required if CDRs and IM archiving are enabled:

CPU

Dual processor, dual-core  2.6 GHz +

Disk

Drive 1 (2 × 18 GB) for OS and Page File
    Drive 2 (6 x 72GB, 15K RPM, RAID 0+1) for database log file

Drive3 (6 x 72GB, 15K RPM, RAID 0+1) for database file

Cache

2 MB L2 per core

Memory

16 GB (CDR and Archiving)

Network

GBit NIC

Note

The disk recommendations for the Archiving Server are based upon a disk write rate of 140 writes/sec for the database file, 910 writes/sec for the log file, or the equivalent of 1430 IMs/sec. Disk reads are effectively zero through in-memory caching provided by the SQL server. Alternative disk configurations may be possible to sustain the same I/O rate and reliability. Consult your storage solution vendor for more information.

For the QoE server there is sizing information in the Server doc

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9ED29D74-3391-4902-BF2C-6757410F3335&displaylang=en

QoE Monitoring Server Database

Required database size depends on call volume and on your call report retention settings. Each call report uses approximately 2.75KB of database storage. You can estimate how large your database needs to be by using this formula:

Database size = ((daily PC-to-PC call volume÷2) + (daily non PC-to-PC call volume)) × (call report size) × (call report retention days)

For example, by using the default call report retention time of 90 days for 10,000 users participating in an average of 5 PC-to-PC calls and 7 calls of other types per day, you would calculate the estimated database size as follows:

Database size = (((10,000 × 5)÷2) + (10,000×7)) × (2.75 KB) × (90) = 235 GB

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

Although it's not very well documented I have extrapolated the following for myself:

IM Archiving

from the planning guide you can find that a typical IM profile is as follows:

- 2 IM Sessions / Hour

- 10 Instant Messages per session

- 200 bytes average size for an instant message

so for an entire year this would add up to: 2 * 10 * 200 bytes * 8 Hours * 365 Days = 11,13Mbytes / User / Year

CDR Archiving

I assume that the call detail report in the QOE formula is of the same size or bigger as the CDR archiving report so I will take 2.75Kbytes per CDR

I assume the CDR Archiving server will need to generate approx. 10 CDR items /Day /User

So for an entire year this would add up to: 10 * 2.75Kbytes * 365 Days = 9.8Mbytes / User / Year

Combined these would add up to something like 21Mbytes /User /Year. Another thread in this forum suggested 30Mbytes /User /Year so use the latter to be on the safe side ;-)

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3062523&SiteID=57

Obviousely this depends on your users profile so you can't take my assumptions above for yours.

Hope this helps

Tonino Bruno

Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:30 PM
  • Thanks Deli-pro.. I saw that information, which is somewhat helpful, but doesn't really answer the question I'm looking for. We need something like the Exchange sizing calculators for OCS.

Cheers

Michael

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Thanks Tonino, I will go with what you have as a start, obviously each organisation will be different, but its would be good to have some sort of guide... I have also asked the question of one of my contacts from MS and if they come back with something useful, I will post here.

Thanks

Michael.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:57 PM
  •  Tonino Bruno wrote:

CDR Archiving

I assume that the call detail report in the QOE formula is of the same size or bigger as the CDR archiving report so I will take 2.75Kbytes per CDR

I assume the CDR Archiving server will need to generate approx. 10 CDR items /Day /User

So for an entire year this would add up to: 10 * 2.75Kbytes * 365 Days = 9.8Mbytes / User / Year

The only thing I just thought about, I would expect that QOE to collect more information than CDR collection, so I wouldn't think CDR records would be the same size... just a thought..

Does anyone have CDR archiving running in their environment that can provide some information on the size of their database, etc?

Friday, October 17, 2008 1:07 AM