Different SteadyState configurations for different users RRS feed

• Question

• Our family members all use the same desktop.  Is there any way of configuring SteadyState for individual members?  For instance, my wife and I need all of our work saved permanently.  We'd like to save the schoolwork of other members for a specified amount of time, and don't want the activities of some of the younger members saved at all.  I suspect this would require multiple caches, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  Nonetheless, this is a great program that provides us security we didn't previously enjoy.  - Dave

Sunday, August 3, 2008 6:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

I suppose you create an account for each user; each account can be restricted individually (you shouldn't use disc protection). If you lock an account with SteadyState all changes will be lost after a reboot.
    • so your account and the one of your wife should be locked
    • to save schoolwork permanently, you could create a folder somewhere outside the profile-folder (e.g. C:\Storage) and give the required rights. For Example if you want to create a storage-folder for user Bob:
      • Login as an Administrator
      • Click on Start -> Execute -> type "cmd" and press enter
      • type "md C:\Storage\bob" and press enter
      • type "cacls C:\Storage\bob /E /C /G bob:C" and press enter

now Bob can write place his files to C:\Storage\bob; the files will not be deleted after a reboot.
        You should create a shortcut to the storage folder on the Desktop of Bob.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 12:48 PM