none
Blank lines added between code lines when editing prior post RRS feed

• Question

• Even if I do not touch the code area, when editing a prior post a blank line is inserted between each code line in the code block. This requires a tedious "touching up" of the code area to remove the unwanted lines.

Ed McElroy
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:12 PM

Answers

• For edit, I believe there is a better workaround until we can get these types of issues fixed.

-Right click on Edit, and open in new Tab/Window
    -This will bring up a text area that contains the unformatted HTML of the post. Key point here is that its the untouched code (as submitted), not the decorated/colorized code

-If the edit is simple, you can make the change and submit right there

-Alternatively, you could copy the contents from that text area and return to the original window where you clicked edit
    -Now click Edit and in the RTE, click HTML view and paste the copied post into it and "Update" from that dialog
    -The RTE should now have your the actual post and you can edit normally

HTH a little :)
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:06 PM

All replies

• Use the Insert Code Block command, far right button on the toolbar with the mysterious angle brackets.  Or use FireFox.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:16 PM
  • I originally inserted the code using the Insert Code Block dialog. After the post has been submitted, if I have to come back and edit it for some reason, clicking on the Edit link displays my post but with the code lines (inside the code block demarcation rectangle) now separated by blank lines. This means even if I'm not making a change in the code, I still have to laboriously delete those extra lines. This continues to happen by the way: if I don't remove the blank lines and submit and come back again for another edit, still more blank lines will be added in the code section.

Ed McElroy
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I really truly feel sorry for anybody that has to use these forums with IE.  And a bit for myself, having to read those posts.  The new post editor is a major step backwards in its present shape.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:31 PM
  • For edit, I believe there is a better workaround until we can get these types of issues fixed.

-Right click on Edit, and open in new Tab/Window
    -This will bring up a text area that contains the unformatted HTML of the post. Key point here is that its the untouched code (as submitted), not the decorated/colorized code

-If the edit is simple, you can make the change and submit right there

-Alternatively, you could copy the contents from that text area and return to the original window where you clicked edit
    -Now click Edit and in the RTE, click HTML view and paste the copied post into it and "Update" from that dialog
    -The RTE should now have your the actual post and you can edit normally

HTH a little :)
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Ugh.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:42 PM