Windows One Care and Live not working - PC acting strange RRS feed

• Question

• Turned on my laptop. Noticed two things.

1. The internet connection icon (bottom right) showed a cross through it - indicating I wasn't connected to the internet. When I tried clicking on the icon nothing happened. I tried surfing the internet and no problem - it worked. But the icon is still crossed out.

2. I couldn't connect to Windows OneCare - a message had said it had stopped working for some reason. So I went to help and it told me to type "services.msc" in my start search, but no cursor appeared in the box, so I couldn't type anything -  and all start functions were inaccessible. So I restarted my PC, but still have the same problem.

My PC is protected by OneCare, but I'm worried that OneCare is no longer working properly. A few months ago I received notification from Windows that OneCare was being discontinued and my subscription would end in August 2010. I was told that I would be notified of the next product, but haven't received anything. So do I go and buy Anti-virus software from Norton etc. and uninstall Windows OneCare?

What's wrong with my PC and why is Windows OneCare and my Start functions not working? What's going on???

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:24 AM

Answers

All replies