Windows Live OneCare registration RRS feed

• Question

• When I open Windows Live OneCare it says, “Finish setting up OneCare”  When I click on “Finish Setup” a window opens which says “Step 1Tongue Tiedign in”  It asks if I have a Windows Live ID.  I click “No, I need one” and then click “Next”  Step 2 says “It looks like you need a subscription .  .  .  Click ‘Continue Online’ to go to the OneCare website”

When I click “Continue Online” a window opens entitled “Windows” which says “Windows cannot open this file:    File:  ?LinkId=100991”  So I then select “Use the Web service to find the appropriate program” and click “OK”

Now I am back at “Step 1 – Sign In”  So I click “Next”

I am told to “Sign in to Windows Live”  So, since I don’t have a Windows Live ID yet, I click on “Get help with your Windows Live ID”  Now a new window labeled “Windows” opens which says “Windows cannot open this file:   File:  ?LinkId=1010048queryType=keyword&query=elbuortninis&sid”  Since I have no idea how to open this file, I select “Use the Web service to find the appropriate program”

This takes me back to “Step 1: Sign in”    So I am locked in an endless loop, or something like that!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:18 AM

Answers

• I suspect that you are not using Internet Explorer as you web browser. In XP, go to Start, Set Program Access and Defaults. In Vista, go to Start/Program Default.

Change your default web browser to Internet Explorer (you can set it back to your choice after it is finished).

Then open Internet Explorer, go to Tools/Internet options and delete your Temporary Internet Files and cookies. Close IE and start the activation process again.

You might also choose to go to http://account.live.com to create a LiveID and then start the activation process from within OneCare, signing i with the new LiveID.

-steve

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies