Client Password Synchronization Issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• I checked this forum's history and did not find my particular issue in this year's posts.  So here goes...

The client password for WHS on my Media Center computer (Vista Ultimate) got out of sync with WHS (Build 3790).  Repeated attempts to reset failed, perhaps due to failing batteries on the wireless keyboard.  Eventually the WHS account was locked.  I reset the client account password a couple of times to ensure I was using the proper password during this exercise.

I had to go to the WHS Computer Management utility to unlock the account.  I put new batteries in the keyboard, and retried entering the passwords at the Media Center WHS client.  I got the locked account message again.

I went back to the WHS Computer Management utility to unlock the account and reset the password to match the account on the client.  This fixed the sync problem without further work at the client.

Although this situation was fixable, I had to circumvent the locked account by logging into the WHS server and using the Computer Management utility.  I think the WHS team would prefer that this sort of issue be resolved through the WHS console at the client.  I think the console really needs this capability.

Thanks,

Walter Lounsbery

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:46 PM

All replies

• This is a known issue; Windows Media Player is the cause (it tries repeatedly to access a share, probably making the assumption that it's just a momentary network issue that's preventing access). I agree that it would be nice for WHS to do something more intelligent; my suggestion would be to lock the account for a period, then allow it to automatically unlock again. That could be implemented through system policies.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:14 PM