Invalid User or Password - Launchpad Login RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I attempted to login to the WHS launchpad this morning (from a W7Home premium PC) I received an Invalid password response.  I have both "Remember me on this computer" and "Remember my password" checked in the options.

Further investigation in the WHS security log indicated that my User password had expired and required changing.

The launchpad didn't generate any message indicating that the password had expired/needed to be changed. In the Users tab on the WHS Dashboard - there was again no indication of the error and I didn't see a way to change the password.

My workaround was to logon to the server using RDP and access the W2K8 "Users Tab" through Server Manager.  Both Users (set up on the same day) had the "User must change password at next logon" checked.  I unchecked that and checked "Password never expires".  With these changes - the Launchpad again logs in successfully.

Understanding from another post that Vail User Password policy is still in flux, I believe the defect is limited to the either the Launchpad not triggering a "Password change Required" script and/or some method of doing this in the Dashboard. Has anyone elase had a similar issue?

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:40 PM

All replies

• Just checked,

All VAIL users on my server also did have "password never expires" un-set.
    Nice find. Would you please bug this on Connect?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:32 PM
  • This also happen to me.  And then the Sync Center folders under Windows 7 started to delete my files on my Laptop. Not good. (Now I'm not using Sync Center feature, instead now I use Sync Toy)

Friday, June 11, 2010 8:39 PM
  • The interface is incomplete in this area. Users should, I understand, be prompted to change their passwords (or passwords won't expire), and there should be an interface that allows them to do that other than the one you can get to through the Remote Access web site. Yes, that's right, the only place where a user can change their password today is the Remote Access web site. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 11:00 PM
  • On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:32:59 +0000, Theo van Elsberg wrote:

Would you please bug this on Connect?

No need as it is a known issue in this build.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
    Friday, June 11, 2010 11:14 PM
  • When I attempted to login to the WHS launchpad this morning (from a W7Home premium PC) I received an Invalid password response.  I have both "Remember me on this computer" and "Remember my password" checked in the options.

Further investigation in the WHS security log indicated that my User password had expired and required changing.

The launchpad didn't generate any message indicating that the password had expired/needed to be changed. In the Users tab on the WHS Dashboard - there was again no indication of the error and I didn't see a way to change the password.

My workaround was to logon to the server using RDP and access the W2K8 "Users Tab" through Server Manager.  Both Users (set up on the same day) had the "User must change password at next logon" checked.  I unchecked that and checked "Password never expires".  With these changes - the Launchpad again logs in successfully.

Understanding from another post that Vail User Password policy is still in flux, I believe the defect is limited to the either the Launchpad not triggering a "Password change Required" script and/or some method of doing this in the Dashboard. Has anyone elase had a similar issue?

I too came across this same problem today.  However, I did a different workaround.  I opened the Group Policy Editor from the server desktop and changed the Password Policy in the Security Settings.  The default expiration was set at 42 days.  I simply changed it to 0 days (meaning it never expires).  Of course doing that is unsupported, but it works fine now.  :)
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I hit the same problem yesterday as well.  I just deleted the user and added it back in via WHS Dashboard, that fixed it as well.

btl.

Monday, June 14, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Correct, this is a known issue.  In the next build of Vail, the passwords will not expire.
    Monday, June 14, 2010 6:33 PM