WHS console problem - homeserverconsoletab.health.dll stopping access RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed WHS and I'm having some problems with it.  The install on the server box appears to run fine.  I then install the console on my home PC (Vista) which seems to install OK.  However when I try to connect to the server I get an error message "The windows home server console cannot open because the following file is stopping it homeserverconsoletab.health.dll.  It then asks me if I want to continue anyway - if I select yes, one of two results occur - either the console comes up but does not accept any interaction or more commonly my windows home server 'bluescreens'.

I can ping both the ip address of the server and the server name from the dos prompt on my Vista machine.

If I try to run the console from the server I get the same error message but if I choose to continue it opens the console and I can interact with it.

I've tried redoing the install from scratch a couple of times and re-installing as well - same result each time

I've run discovery.exe from the Vista machine and that works fine - takes me through the various options with success tickmarks

Then when I run the console the problem continues.....

Anbody run into this problem before or know how to fix it?
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:10 AM

Answers

• DerekBall said:

Lara - The original network card was an old Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet card, I replaced it with a Belkin Gigabit Desktop Network Card (F5D5005 v2000) - I installed the Belkin drivers from the supplied driver CD

The bluescreen error is 'page fault in nonpaged area'

There is a MEMORY.DMP file - how do I send it to you?

Hi Derek,

Please send mail to whsforum@microsoft.com. I'll provide you with a location to send the file.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you said, you did the install from the scratch - do you mean client or server reinstall?
    A problem as you describe is always server based, since the console is running based on a Remotedesktop session to the server.

Can you take a look into the event log of the server? Maybe there is something pointing out reasons for the trouble.
    Did you install any 3rd party software or add-ins on the server?

Other than that, you can only try, that a server reinstall would fix the issue.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Olaf - thanks for your reply - I've carried out a fresh installation of both the client and the server - several times.  It now seems that homeserverconsoletab.health.dll message is probably caused by the first crash as after a fresh installation I don't get that message - it only appears after rebooting the server and trying to connect again.

I carried out a fresh installation and was able to run the console directly on the server without any problems.  As soon as I tried to do this remotely the server crashes (Blue screen crash).  I have tried to access it from both a Vista box and an XP box - same results. 

I thought it might be a network card problem, although the network seemed to be working fine and I can access it directly from the server - anyway I replaced the network card but I still have the same problem.

I tried running MSTSC from a remote machine and connecting to the server - the server blue screened the minute it tried to make the connection.

When I look in the homeserver event log the only thing that stands out is a system entry saying that the last shutdown was unexpected - there doesn't seem to be anything before then

Here is the contents of the HomeServerConsole.081126.1915123906.3120 log - I think this explains the subsequent homeserverconsoletab.health.dll messages

Created at 26/11/2008 19:15:12
    ***** Started at 26/11/2008 19:15:12 ***
    ***** Started at 26/11/2008 19:15:12 ***
    [1]081126.191513.6562: Error: Client 4865719f-1ecc-42cc-ab0a-24e361094f0e not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]081126.191513.6562: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 4865719f-1ecc-42cc-ab0a-24e361094f0e
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]081126.191513.6875: Error: Client 7ea99bbb-2059-4b20-8b83-b2502abd3bf7 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]081126.191513.6875: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 7ea99bbb-2059-4b20-8b83-b2502abd3bf7
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [5]081126.191514.9218: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [5]081126.191514.9218: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [7]081126.191515.0156: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [7]081126.191515.0156: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]081126.191515.0312: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [7]081126.191518.0156: Error: Backup percentage is -2147483648
    [7]081126.191518.0156: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]081126.191518.5625: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]081126.191518.5625: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage

I'm not sure which of the other logs might help find the cause of the problem?

I'm going to try another fresh install and see if anything 'magic' happens - the problem is definitely triggered when trying to access the server from a remote console rather than directly on the server itself.

Any further suggestions or ideas would be greatfully accepted.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Sorry forgot - I haven't installed anything other than the whs software on the server box
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:46 PM
  • DerekBall said:

Olaf - thanks for your reply - I've carried out a fresh installation of both the client and the server - several times.  It now seems that homeserverconsoletab.health.dll message is probably caused by the first crash as after a fresh installation I don't get that message - it only appears after rebooting the server and trying to connect again.

I carried out a fresh installation and was able to run the console directly on the server without any problems.  As soon as I tried to do this remotely the server crashes (Blue screen crash).  I have tried to access it from both a Vista box and an XP box - same results. 

I thought it might be a network card problem, although the network seemed to be working fine and I can access it directly from the server - anyway I replaced the network card but I still have the same problem.

I tried running MSTSC from a remote machine and connecting to the server - the server blue screened the minute it tried to make the connection.

A couple of things.  Since you can access the server directly, I'm assuming this is a home built server? When you swapped out the NIC, was it a different model/make so that the driver was a different version?

Also, when you access the server by logging in directly, can you browse to %windir%, i.e. C:\Windows and see if there is a dump file i.e. MEMORY.DMP? If the system bluescreened it should have written out a dumpfile.

It sounds like a problem with the NIC driver.  I'll be able to tell if there's a dump file.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Lara - The original network card was an old Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet card, I replaced it with a Belkin Gigabit Desktop Network Card (F5D5005 v2000) - I installed the Belkin drivers from the supplied driver CD

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:29 PM
  • DerekBall said:

Lara - The original network card was an old Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet card, I replaced it with a Belkin Gigabit Desktop Network Card (F5D5005 v2000) - I installed the Belkin drivers from the supplied driver CD

Hi Derek,

Please send mail to whsforum@microsoft.com. I'll provide you with a location to send the file.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Lara - I've sent the email as requested
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:31 PM