Business Process Flows in CRM 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Who else thinks that Microsoft has made it quite complicated to implement business process flows?Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these are the different attributes that come into play during the progress of an opportunity.

1. Process Stage - Text value entered under Stage column in Process designer. Not sure what the attribute is if I have to use it in reporting. Can sombody help?
    2. Stage Category - Stage category, that is a global option set, and is mapped to individual process stages in process designer.
    3. Pipeline Phase - Auto generated which is like Prefix+StageCategory
    4. Sales Stage - Auto updated as Close when Opportunity is Clsoed as Won or Lost. Otherwise stays blank during the rest of the opportunity cycle. Does this mean Sales Stage will not update as per the Business Process Flow? So if sombody does a Next Stage to Close in process bar, the opportunity is actually still open? Isnt this confusing for the users?
    5. Status - Auto updated as Lost or Won when Opportunity is closed as lost or won respectively. Same question as above.
    6. Status Reason - Updated with appropriate status reason when opportunity is closed. Same question as above.

What I really need to implement is some kind of a guided process for users who will work on different product lines and may need different stages/steps as guidance. I know it is possible to have multi-process flows but with so many attributes above, I dont know from where to start.

I may be wrong, please feel free to shout at me for being ignorant :)

Regards,

Yogesh

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Yogesh,

I do see your point in that there are quite a few different fields that all appear to do similar things - however they are all from different features that have been added to over different versions. Microsoft are committed to backward compatibility so often the names of these fields are overlapping.

If you want to show a different Business Process Flow depending on some data on the record you can refer to my post on how to dynamically change the process and step - http://develop1.net/public/post/How-to-change-process-and-stage-programmatically.aspx

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Friday, November 29, 2013 11:27 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm not sure it could be considered 'unsupported' because changing it uses the support SDK however it could be considered a grey area for sure!

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by yogeshfd Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:54 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 6:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Yogesh,

I do see your point in that there are quite a few different fields that all appear to do similar things - however they are all from different features that have been added to over different versions. Microsoft are committed to backward compatibility so often the names of these fields are overlapping.

If you want to show a different Business Process Flow depending on some data on the record you can refer to my post on how to dynamically change the process and step - http://develop1.net/public/post/How-to-change-process-and-stage-programmatically.aspx

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365

Friday, November 29, 2013 11:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply. I will check the blog. I remember one of my meeting with a Microsoft technical pre-sales guy who said changing stage programmatically might not be a supported customization, is this true?

Regards,

Yogesh

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:59 PM
  • I'm not sure it could be considered 'unsupported' because changing it uses the support SDK however it could be considered a grey area for sure!

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365

• Marked as answer by yogeshfd Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:54 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 6:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes I agree.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:12 PM
  • If your question is answered could you kindly mark this thread as answered so that others know as well.

Many thanks,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Scott:

I do have a follow-up question if I may.  The business process flow  and its associates stages all seem to be working fine in respects to the funnels on the dashboards and if you use the Pipeline Phase filed in views.  But if we are to run the Sales Pipeline report, everything is lumped under a single sales of Not Specified.  Does this mean the OOB reports will not work in respect to grouping the estimated Revenue by Pipeline Phase as it is a different field?

Thanks

Ken

Kenneth Clebak

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:54 PM