WHS hangs or freezes at Initializing Restore CD/Initializing Windows screen RRS feed

• Question

• So colored me unimpressed with WHS at this point in time.  I have a Vista system that had some boot corruption issues.  I am going with a full restore to fix it.  I insert my restoreCD, boot from it, and it hangs at the Initializing Restore CD screen.  So far it has been an hour and no checkmark next to the Initializing Windows item. 

[Updated]
    So I decided to resurrect a system in my garage so that I can install the Connector software on it and restore using that computer instead.  When I enter my password I get "This operation cannot be completed at this time."  Why in the world did I spend money on this thing?!  I can't even restore a busted computer.  grrrrr.
    Turns out that WHS and the client PC need to have synchronized clocks.  Because it had been in my garage for awhile the CMOS battery was dead and the clock had reset to 2002.  Setting the date allowed me to install the Connector software.  Now let's hope I can do a restore by swapping drives between systems.

The more imporant issue that I would like resolved is why the Restore CD hangs on my Vista system.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:11 AM

Answers

• Well it turns out that WHS is not the evil demon.  I was giving up and attempting to do an install of Ubuntu when I realized that Ubuntu wouldn't install and its logger was indicating issues with my cd-rom drive.  I swapped out the cd rom and voila, the restore cd works fine, my computer boots up fine, and ubuntu installs fine.  Good stuff.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:58 AM

All replies

• Please try the latest version of the restore CD. Also please read the instructions (p16-18), you may need to supply drivers for certain components of your system.

Restore and the then swap drive should normally work. Just don't reboot after restore.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Well it turns out that WHS is not the evil demon.  I was giving up and attempting to do an install of Ubuntu when I realized that Ubuntu wouldn't install and its logger was indicating issues with my cd-rom drive.  I swapped out the cd rom and voila, the restore cd works fine, my computer boots up fine, and ubuntu installs fine.  Good stuff.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:58 AM