How can I make WSUS run on WHS pp3? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I install WSUS on WHS? 

I am upgrading my home computer systems and would greatly benefit from having WSUS available on WHS so I would not be downloading over 300MB of upgrades for Vista (32 & 64 bit) each time I reinstall an OS on a machine.  I find that it is still necessary to do a complete reinstall of the Vista, XP and 2000 systems annually in order to keep the junk/clutter down and machines stable and fast.  After SBS NT 3.5, NT 4, and 2000 I have learned to like the "Workgroup" better than the "Domain" systems on my home GB network.  I have much less trouble with "Server not found", etc. errors.  Workgroups are always in operation and not dependent on the frailities of a Server and domain setup.

Also, is there a 64 bit version of WHS?  I have an Intel QX9650 processor, 8 GB memory, and ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WiFi WAP@n motherboard that would love to run a WHS with the 16 1.5TB Seagate drives I am currently using on an older Supermicro X5DA8 sytem with 2 (AOC SAT2-MV8) controllers. 

Regarding the 2 controllers, I found older, simpler drivers (mvsata.sys from 11/1/2006) on the CD that came with the controllers and they work with WHS, but they do not report drive tempatures and conditions like my Areca controllers do.  The so called updated drivers (aar81xx.sys) on Supermicro's FTP site would load but not start the needed service.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:42 PM

Answers

• WSUS works on Windows Home Server (although installing it on WHS is unsupported).

It is recommended to use a separate disk not part of the storage pool for WSUS files and database. Or if this is not possible and your system disk is large enough, you could also try to use a folder in D:\, as long as you leave out the WHS managed folders.

WHS currently is 32 Bit only, a 64 Bit version of WHS v.2 is currently in Beta.

A technically for the purpose overpowered server hardware brings mainly one thing - more cost for electrical energy and often also more noise than necessary. If the mass storage controllers are not in IDE mode, you will also experience more difficulties in server reinstall if this should be necessary.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by sokalski Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:53 PM