locked
Installing WHS RRS feed

  • Question

  • When installing WHS it askes for a windows key not the server key. There was only one key and the server side is ok. But if I need to access the machine locally it will require a key to activate windows? Or does not matter.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 9:25 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    An update from Microsoft has just come out, saying that "it's come to our attention that there is an issue with the key for Windows Home server in the October Action pack.
    We will issue a resolution as soon as possible.

    Colin






    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by morphy125 Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:48 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:31 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi,
    No, that's just fine. There is only the one key required, even if you access locally.

    Colin





    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 9:31 PM
    Moderator
  • Thank you for your answer Colin, But it asking for activation and if it not activated in 30 days will it lock you out. Thanks M
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 9:46 PM
  • You can also install WHS without entering a key - but you need to enter your key later to activate the product successfully after 30 days or earlier.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:31 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for your reply Olaf. I have used the key, But the local windows on the server will not accept the key.  It came with the error this key does not match the script, or words to that effect. Thanks M
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Hello,
    without exact wording it is hard to determine, what is really meaned.
    But you should be aware, that you often run into script errors, if you do not leave the Windows Home Server DVD in the drive until the installation is completed or if the DVD cannot be read by some reason.

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Here is what the system says. The setup script file does not contian a valid product id contact your system admin for valid product ID. This displayed after it runs windows setup. It accecpts the product ID when on the first part of the install. I have even changed the  DVD drive and cable, the dvd looks ok. Thanks M
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:59 AM
  • morphy125 said:

    Here is what the system says. The setup script file does not contian a valid product id contact your system admin for valid product ID. This displayed after it runs windows setup. It accecpts the product ID when on the first part of the install. I have even changed the  DVD drive and cable, the dvd looks ok. Thanks M


    Can you logon to the server desktop, right click on My Computer and select Properties, then post what it says (in the General tab)?  Just to confirm, did you do what Olaf said (leave the DVD in the drive the entire time)?  You should not remove the DVD until you see the Welcome screen on your monitor.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:25 PM
    Moderator
  • morphy125 said:

    Here is what the system says. The setup script file does not contian a valid product id contact your system admin for valid product ID. This displayed after it runs windows setup. It accecpts the product ID when on the first part of the install. I have even changed the  DVD drive and cable, the dvd looks ok. Thanks M


    Hi,

    Did you install the evaluation kit or the OEM copy? And are you using the key that came with your DVD or an eval key/OEM key instead?

    Thank you

    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:18 PM
    Moderator
  • This MS partners version of the software, also I did leave dvd in. I have now installed the software 4 times. I am about to reinstall again and I will inform you what has happened. Thankyou M


    Ken yes it is APS DVD
    • Edited by morphy125 Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:37 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Morphy, are you saying you installed from the Action Pack subscription DVD?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:15 PM
    Moderator
  • Kariya it says- windows home server service pack 2.  Window home server user family 74895-oem-#####-##### . There numbers where the hashes are. I have also found this in q_setup.log 
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    This shows up quit few times in the log but it also says everything else is healthy. 
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)

    Thankyou M
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:11 PM
  • morphy125 said:

    Kariya it says- windows home server service pack 2.  Window home server user family 74895-oem-#####-##### . There numbers where the hashes are. I have also found this in q_setup.log 
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    This shows up quit few times in the log but it also says everything else is healthy. 
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)

    Thankyou M

    OK.  The only suggestion I can offer at this point would be to do another New Installation (and when prompted for the Product Key, skip it) and make sure you leave the DVD in the drive the entire time until you get the WHS Welcome screen on the monitor.  Once the installation is complete, then go through the activation process (this is when you will type in the 25 character Product Key).

    • Marked as answer by morphy125 Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by morphy125 Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:35 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Kariya I am re installing as you said and leaving key till the end. I also noticed that the clock was out and the date on the log file was in the US format but the system was being setup for the UK.
    The mother board has new battery in it I do not I reset the clock after I put it in? The unit was running XP pro before I installed home server. I swaped the main hard for a new before installing WHS.














    Well done Lewis :-)
    • Edited by morphy125 Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:53 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:39 PM
  • morphy125 said:

    Kariya I am re installing as you said and leaving key till the end. I also noticed that the clock was out and the date on the log file was in the US format but the system was being setup for the UK.


    Well done Lewis :-)


    The clock was out? Maybe your CMOS battery is dead or dying.  Is this a new mobo or one you've had for a while?  You might consider replacing the battery if it's an older mobo.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:43 PM
    Moderator
  • Still the same, the reason the clock was wrong it was set for the USA. It says that the ID is not valid. I am going to try this on another mother board when I rebuild unit. Thanks M.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:20 PM
  • morphy125 said:

    Still the same, the reason the clock was wrong it was set for the USA. It says that the ID is not valid. I am going to try this on another mother board when I rebuild unit. Thanks M.


    Is that the exact error message ("ID not valid")?  If not, exactly what does it say?  Also, do you get that error message during installation even if you don't input the product key during installation?  Or is it only after the installation is complete when you try to activate by inputting the product key?
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:27 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    An update from Microsoft has just come out, saying that "it's come to our attention that there is an issue with the key for Windows Home server in the October Action pack.
    We will issue a resolution as soon as possible.

    Colin






    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by morphy125 Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:48 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:31 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Colin thanks for that I can now stop banging my head against the wall. Thanks to you all for your help M :-)
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:52 PM