Fixing a major problem RRS feed

• Question

• A year or so ago I bought an Asus Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit pre-installed.

Recently I had a hard drive failure which not only wiped out the installation but also devastated the restore partition..

I thought I could restore the system with a "clone copy" of the boot drive, but apparently some damage had been done to the drive before I cloned it.... so no install possible..

I had a package I had bought from Microsoft that included Windows 7 home premium 64bit that included license for 3 systems, so I installed the OS on my desktop with a new Hard disk.

Now here is the problem.. I want to change the product key to the key that came with the computer, so I can install my OS on a new computer using the key that came with the windows 7 package..

Can this be done????

LarryL3

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:26 PM

Answers

• You can use the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page.  Press WinKey+Pause/Break and scroll to the bottom of the page.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:54 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You can use the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page.  Press WinKey+Pause/Break and scroll to the bottom of the page.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:54 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, I'll give it a shot...

I thought it would be a problem as the Key that came with the computer was from an OEM version of Windows 7.

The worst that can happen is it will not work, and I'll still have the system working.

Larry

Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:45 PM