copying files from whs to windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded to windows 7 and when i try to copy all my music (around 100GB) from my whs to my main computer it starts copying (only at 28MB/s for some reason) but then stops and says "there is a problem accessing 'path to shared folder' make sure you are connected to the network and try again".  i hit retry twice and then it'll continue again for a while until it gives me the same error.  i've updated my ethernet drivers and it hasn't made a difference. 

also, i tried copying my pictures (8GB) from my windows 7 machine to the whs shared folder but it kept causing whs to crash and then the files i transfered were corrupted.

i didn't have any problems transfering multiple files or large files back and forth when i was running xp.

can anyone help?
    • Changed type lonchaney Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:18 AM
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:11 AM

All replies

• Where did you upgrade the drivers? This should happen on both sides. Include also the mass storage controller drivers, since I have seen on some Windows Server 2003 machines Windows Explorer consuming more and more memory while copying large files, until nothing was responsible any more.
    I had a similar problem for a while until changing the NIC (my client mainboard had both a Realtek and a Broadcomm NIC), but the problem was also present from any other client to this client.
    A workaround could be, to have the other machine initiating the copy operation, so that this machine determines the sending speed.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Ok so you're saying try to start the copying from my WHS instead of windows 7?  I guess that means I'd have to set any folder with files I want to copy over to my WHS as shared in Windows 7, right?  This doesn't seem like a great fix but I'll try that when I get home from work. 

Both my WHS and Windows 7 machines have had their drivers updated to the latest version. 

Are you saying that when you changed your NIC it solved the problem?  Not knowing which computer is causing the problem would mean I would need to change the NIC one on, see if that sovled it, and if not then change the NIC on the other I guess.

Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Ok so you're saying try to start the copying from my WHS instead of windows 7?  I guess that means I'd have to set any folder with files I want to copy over to my WHS as shared in Windows 7, right?  This doesn't seem like a great fix but I'll try that when I get home from work. 

Both my WHS and Windows 7 machines have had their drivers updated to the latest version. 

Are you saying that when you changed your NIC it solved the problem?  Not knowing which computer is causing the problem would mean I would need to change the NIC one on, see if that sovled it, and if not then change the NIC on the other I guess.

Is your Windows 7 PC the same physical computer as the XP box?  If so, it has to be a problem with your client-side NIC, its driver, or some cabling in between.  Do you have another client?  If so, does it show the same behavior?
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:57 PM