SSL Certificate RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya

I've got my own domain name and would like to use this for accessing WHS stuff remotely, instead of the <name>.homeserver.com address.

So I added a DNS CNAME record to my doman (www) which points to <name>.homeserver.com.

This is all working hunky-dorey, but I get the certificate warning saying it's not intended for the address used.

Can I change the name in the certificate?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:10 PM

Answers

No. A certificate ties together the URL and the server itself, and serves as a positive identification of the two. If one could simply edit an issued certificate, certificates would be worthless.

It's possible, but not particularly easy, to purchase and install a certificate for your own domain. It also nhas the potential to mess up built-in Windows Home Server functionality. Accordingly, it's not really recommended unless you're very familiar with installing certificates.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:25 PM

All replies

• I've temporarily got round this by modifying default.htm in c:\inetpub\wwwroot to redirect to the *.homeserver.com

<script language="javascript">
    	document.location = 'http://mydomainname.homeserver.com/home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true';
    </script>
    but would still like to exclusively use my proper domain.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:59 PM
    No. A certificate ties together the URL and the server itself, and serves as a positive identification of the two. If one could simply edit an issued certificate, certificates would be worthless.

It's possible, but not particularly easy, to purchase and install a certificate for your own domain. It also nhas the potential to mess up built-in Windows Home Server functionality. Accordingly, it's not really recommended unless you're very familiar with installing certificates.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:25 PM
  • If one could simply edit an issued certificate, certificates would be worthless.

Yes I know. What I meant was can I get a new cert issued with my preferred name, using the built-in remote access feature?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:21 AM
  • The built-in features are tied to the domains that were preselected by Microsoft/HP/etc. There's no way to add additional domains to the selection.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:33 PM