Company laptop connect to WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I support our company SBS 2003 network.  I have a user (owner) that wants to set up a WHS to backup his photos, music and critical files.  If we set up the WHS on a separate network, are there any conflicts that would occur if he moved his laptop between the SBS network and the WHS network ? (Does WHS require any configuration on the laptop that would interfere with the configuration for connection to the SBS network?)

What credentials would the WHS use to do the backup? 

Would you just create another local user on the laptop that has admin rights to the laptop and matches credentials on the WHS server?

Would you log on to the SBS network with the domain credentials, and log onto the WHS with the local user credentials?  

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:56 PM

Answers

• 1- No, there shouldn't be any conflicts.
    2- He'll need to create a user account on the WHS that has the same username\password as his account on the lappy.
    3- No, and yes (in that order.)  See also 2.
    4- Yes, and he'll log on to the laptop in "workstation mode" (same as if he was anywhere else away from the domain.)
    So long as the accounts match (see 2) between his WHS account, and his local machine account, it (the lappy) will talk to the WHS just fine.

And, yes, I have experience with this - my sister's tablet (required at her high school) is a domain member (the school runs a Netware domain.)

...the more I read your post, the more I'm confused about something:
    Is he wanting to set up the WHS at his house, or at the office?  The former would be fine, the latter might create problems.

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:13 PM
  • There is no issue with using Windows Home Server on a corporate network, as long as you don't try to join the server to an AD domain. That will trigger the licensing service which will result in shutting down your server (just like SBS if it's not the PDC). It's actually a pretty slick backup tool for your average small business; you can get all your PCs backed up regularly for $50-$75 per seat.

Microsoft's recommendation for this configuration is to create a local user and use that to interact with the WHS PC.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:53 PM

All replies

• 1- No, there shouldn't be any conflicts.
    2- He'll need to create a user account on the WHS that has the same username\password as his account on the lappy.
    3- No, and yes (in that order.)  See also 2.
    4- Yes, and he'll log on to the laptop in "workstation mode" (same as if he was anywhere else away from the domain.)
    So long as the accounts match (see 2) between his WHS account, and his local machine account, it (the lappy) will talk to the WHS just fine.

And, yes, I have experience with this - my sister's tablet (required at her high school) is a domain member (the school runs a Netware domain.)

...the more I read your post, the more I'm confused about something:
    Is he wanting to set up the WHS at his house, or at the office?  The former would be fine, the latter might create problems.

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Thanks for the information.

I can see why you are confused.  When he first asked about it, I was assuming that it was for his house.  But he was thinking of setting it up at the office.  He is not so concerned about the home networking and sharing features.  He is looking at a better easier backup solution for his Vista Laptop  As well as easy access to his photos and music when he wants them.    Right now we have 3 maxtor one touch drives connected to his docking station, using Vista backup and it is not working consistently.

He also likes to experiment with technology, so part of the reason for looking at the WHS is just to see how it works.  We have a spare Wireless router and spare static IP addresses from our ISP so I was just thinking about setting up the WHS  as its own small network in order to avoid any issues with our SBS network.  If it works well we may move it to his house and add the rest of his family PCs.

I am open to suggestions for alternatives for reliable scheduled backups from his Vista Laptop. 

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:24 PM
  • There is no issue with using Windows Home Server on a corporate network, as long as you don't try to join the server to an AD domain. That will trigger the licensing service which will result in shutting down your server (just like SBS if it's not the PDC). It's actually a pretty slick backup tool for your average small business; you can get all your PCs backed up regularly for $50-$75 per seat.

Microsoft's recommendation for this configuration is to create a local user and use that to interact with the WHS PC.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:53 PM