Remote Restart, without keyboard, mouse and monitor connected RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Home Server on a HP DL145 G2, and because the fans make such a howling noise, I have packed it away, in a cool dark QUITE place. Unfortunately, when the system needs to be re-booted from, updates, for example; I have to disassemble the setup and move the box to a place that I can plug in a monitor, keyboard and mouse. 
     Anyone have any thoughts as to how I can allow the system to re-boot without any input from me, OR, allow me to log back in from a different machine using the WHS console. I've already disabled needing Ctrl/Alt/Del at start, but after that I am stuck 

Thanks for the help,

Scott
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:52 AM

Answers

• If you have automatic updates turned on in the WHS console, then your server will download and apply updates automatically, just like any other computer on your network. If an update requires a reboot, that will also happen automatically. That is the recommended configuration. If you choose to apply updates manually, you can do that through the console, and the server will reboot if required.

As for a manually triggered reboot, the WHS console will also let you do that.

And why have you set your server to auto-logon? It's not required for proper functioning, and is quite a security hole.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:24 AM

All replies

• If you have automatic updates turned on in the WHS console, then your server will download and apply updates automatically, just like any other computer on your network. If an update requires a reboot, that will also happen automatically. That is the recommended configuration. If you choose to apply updates manually, you can do that through the console, and the server will reboot if required.

As for a manually triggered reboot, the WHS console will also let you do that.

And why have you set your server to auto-logon? It's not required for proper functioning, and is quite a security hole.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:24 AM
  •  Ken, that is the experience I have run into, I had automatic updates set, and it downloaded, installed and automatically rebooted WHS. I do understand that is it recommended, and I would like to keep it configured that way.
     At this point I have not set it to auto logon, I have only disabled ctrl/alt/del, I am still required to input the admin password.
     I was wondering if there is a way to log into WHS after a reboot using WHS console on my desktop computer, so I do not have to reconnect a keyboard and monitor to my WHS box (short of setting the WHS box to auto logon which I also believe is a massive security hole)

Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Scott,

You don't need to enter the admin password on the server or configure the server for autologon. You can work with the admin console from your desktop, and the server would happily show the logon prompt all that time. If it had a monitor, that is.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scott,
    as already has been said, for performing backups and providing shared folders no local logon is necessary. This is one difference between a server and a desktop OS. Only if you run (unsupported) applications which are not part of the original installation and require dsktop interaction, those may require a local logon.
    The only issues with headless usage I see on some machines are such, which are deciding to stuck already at Bios level, if there is no keyboard connected. But this behavior can usually also be configured in the Bios and seems to be not your problem.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:14 PM
  • So, to echo what has been said for my own reassurance, I don't have to logon to my WHS. It just boots to the Ctl-Alt-Del screen and sits there and provides my shared folders. No interaction required.

Dell Optiplex 280 Minitower, case mod to fit a 500w PS, 80GB & 1TB SATA drives. Adding 2 X 500GB IDE2 drives shortly.
    Evaluation copy of WHS installed and working great. will purchase and activate the real deal in about 30 days.

Thanks
    Rich
    Monday, May 11, 2009 2:33 AM
  • That's right, Rich.  Mine (as well as pretty much everyone else's here) has no KB, mouse, or monitor connected to it - just a power cord and a Cat5e patch cable.
    It just sits there, no account logged on, and does its job.  Its roots are Server 2003 - that's how it's meant to be.

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:37 AM