Is Live Onecare beyond the beta stage and is it available in the UK? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I cannot tell for sure by looking at the Microsoft web site whether Live Onecare has progressed beyond the beta stage and whether it is available in the United Kingdom. I am currrently a Norton Firewall and Anti-virus user and am interested in switching to Live Onecare. Can anyone tell me its status as a product. I notice that one of the pages that I have seen says that the product us only available in the US but another page shows an expected price in Pounds.
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:30 PM

Answers

• OneCare has been available for purchase in the UK since January of 2007.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:09 AM

All replies

• OneCare has been available for purchase in the UK since January of 2007.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Steve,

Thank you for the answer. Would it be available in storesin the UK? The reason I ask this question is that I do not like to run without protection for even the shortest period of time. Therefore, I want to be offline when installing any firewall and/or anti-virus software. If it is not available in stores here in the UK, would it be reasonable to store the download, disconnect from my home network, then run the install? Also, does Microsoft provide anything for ensuring that previous firewall and anti-virus software is fully removed before installing Onecare?

Robert 

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:05 PM
  • It is available in stores in the UK as well as online retailers.

However, there is no off-line installation. The installer needs Internet access to download the latest program and supporting files. The Windows Firewall provides adequate inbound protection. Don't browse the web, check emails, or perform other tasks that will potentially allow inbound traffic to the PC during the installation.

The installer will check for conflicting programs at install. If it finds any it will warn you to remove them or offer to do so for you in some cases.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:38 PM
  • So it would seem that I should disconnect from the Internet, turn on the Windows firewall, uninstall Norton Firewall and Anti-virus, go to the Microsoft Onecare site, download and install Onecare. Would I then turn off Windows Firewall or does it form part of Onecare after the Onecare install?

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:47 PM
  • When you install OneCare it will disable the Windows Firewall as part of the installation.

You may want to use the Norton Removal Tool after the uninstall - 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Then turn on the Windows Firewall after the reboot and go download OneCare - http://onecare.live.com

Once installed, you will have 90 days to try it (with increasing nags to subscribe.) Pick up a retail copy at your leisure and use the retail PIN/Key to subscribe/activate when the nags begin to annoy you, assuming you like OneCare at that point. (No need to reinstall to use the PIN, just use the PIN. The CD only contains the installer, so you'll already have the latest bits while using the Trial.)

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:19 AM