Problems with upgrading WHS Connector RRS feed

• Question

•  

Have installet SP1 on my WHS. Installed then the old Cnnector on my laptop. Then I get the message that there was an upgrade. Pressed the link which it told me to. Then I have the option of installing Server Connector and Server Toolkit. Pressed Download Server Connector.

A new page came up; This page cannot be found. The page you are looking for might have been removed............

Last time I did this it worked perfectly.

How do i solve this?

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:17 AM

Answers

• The steps at the end of this thread will help you recreate the missing folder. (Also just posted in the FAQ section, as it seems to be coming up occasionally).
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• Have you moved or removed the folder 'Home Server Connector Software' located in your server's Software share?
    Friday, August 1, 2008 12:28 PM
  •  

Not that I know of no.....

However having that said, it seems I cant find it though......If I have looked at the right place.

Any fix to this then if this is the case?

Saturday, August 2, 2008 10:13 AM
  • In your Shared Folders, there should be a: Software - Home Server Connector folder. Then inside that there should be other folders:

Connector Backup

DOTNETFIX20

WindowsInstaller31

then the current Connector installation files.

Also, if you go to http://<yourserver>:56000/ do you get any information at all? Or, if you go to the same address but port 5500, do you get a help page, with a Connector Software link?

Colin

Saturday, August 2, 2008 10:39 AM
  • No, I guess I have somehow deleted it when I deleted some old files and folders that I didnt need.

When I go to that page, I get a page where i can download WHS Connector, WHS Toolkit and contact Customer Support. So Yes to that!

And when I press to download the WHS Connector, all I get is a message that this page cannot be found

Saturday, August 2, 2008 11:10 AM
  •  Pierce007 wrote:
    No, I guess I have somehow deleted it when I deleted some old files and folders that I didnt need.

When I go to that page, I get a page where i can download WHS Connector, WHS Toolkit and contact Customer Support. So Yes to that!

And when I press to download the WHS Connector, all I get is a message that this page cannot be found

That's because the folder is no longer there.  You need to create a folder in the Software share called Home Server Connector Software.  (That's where WHS looks for the updated Connector files.)  As for getting the files back, you can logon to the server desktop and copy the files from C:\WHS to that folder.  The 7 files you need in that folder are:

• setup.exe
    • WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm
    • WHSConnector.msi
    • WHSConnector_x64.msi
    • WHSConnectorInstall.exe
    • WHSVersionUpgrade.dll
    • WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

Also, in addition to those files, there should be 2 folders in the Home Server Connector Software folder.  They are:

• DOTNETFX20
    • WindowsInstaller31

Inside the DOTNETFX20 folder there should be 2 files:

• dotnetchk.exe
    • dotnetfx.exe

Inside the WindowsInstaller31 folder there should be 1 file:

• WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

You should be able to get those last 3 files back from the OEM DVD.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 2:52 PM
  • The steps at the end of this thread will help you recreate the missing folder. (Also just posted in the FAQ section, as it seems to be coming up occasionally).
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 3:22 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The steps at the end of this thread will help you recreate the missing folder. (Also just posted in the FAQ section, as it seems to be coming up occasionally).

I was just about to suggest that (as I'm sure it will come up more frequently after August 12th. Smile  )

Saturday, August 2, 2008 3:33 PM
  • I too am having problems after the update. when i navigate to the "WHS Home Server Connector Software" i see everything that should be there as per the links above. when i try to install the "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe" file i get a setup error message" stating "Not enough storage is available to process this command" the second message box then states "Installiation did not complete"

I have copied it to a local drive on my desktop that has 13Gb free in the "C"drive and about 136Gb free on the "D"drive. I have also tried it on every other computer connected to the server, and get the same message no matter which computer I have tried it on.

I did I search of MS and downloaded WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe and reinstalled it. Istill get the same message.
    I have re-downloaded the entire "Power Pack" WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe and i get the same message when i try installing that file as well. Then tried re-booting the server and desktop, had another go to get the same problem.

Now my Billion router doesn't yet allow remote connection via the net', still waiting for a firmware upgrade for it(, may that be causing the problem?

The WHS is home built and i have a KVM switch connected to it, so I can access it as and when necessary (I normally use the connector software for access and apart from firefox and my bookmarks, there is nothing else installed on it. Its a Quad core Q9400 with 2Gb Ram, the system disk is only 57% full it has 3.37Tb of disk space in it, which has 13% free at this point in time. (mainly DVD's for the Vista media centres) all the drives were balanced and healthy before and still show that state when I logged in again today to have another crack at recitfying the problem.

I'm stumped, any clues as to what I should try, would be very welcome.

Cheers
    Robert

Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:03 AM
  • just copied the WHS KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe file to the WHS desktop, using my KVM switch connected directly to the WHS  and tried to install from there and got a message that stated it was for the wrong version of installed software.  go figure.

Cheers

Robert

Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:23 AM
  • On your server, please open the Windows Home Server Console. In the console, click on Settings, then Resources. What version is reported for the components in the Version Information list box?
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:25 PM
  •  

Version as stated from above location is WHS with power pack 1

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

2 of my computers seem to work ok with one currently doing a backup. however this desktop has the icon beside the clock Greyed out and when i hover the mouse over it, it sates not connected to the server.

Cheers

Robert.

PS this Vista computer is get a re-format sometime this week, (its been 12 months) so maybe that will fix the problem.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:26 PM
  •  Dinks_rn wrote:
    Version as stated from above location is WHS with power pack 1

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

That's why you got the error message regarding KB944289.  Power Pack 1 is already installed. Wink

Dinks_rn wrote:
    2 of my computers seem to work ok with one currently doing a backup. however this desktop has the icon beside the clock Greyed out and when i hover the mouse over it, it sates not connected to the server.

On the computer with the icon grayed out, go to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and run discovery.exe.

Dinks_rn wrote:
    Cheers

Robert.

PS this Vista computer is get a re-format sometime this week, (its been 12 months) so maybe that will fix the problem.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Thank you Kariya, that fired it up on my desktop. I am still getting the message that the connector software needs to be updated on all my clients (6) however it does allow at least manual backups and I would guess auto backups with the older version of connector software. I have been looking for a link that I can just download an updated version of the connector software and install it. While I realise that doesn't fix what is broken on the WHS, it surely would be a band-aid.

Cheers and thank you all for the assistance given.

Robert

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:09 AM
  •  Dinks_rn wrote:
    Thank you Kariya, that fired it up on my desktop. I am still getting the message that the connector software needs to be updated on all my clients (6) however it does allow at least manual backups and I would guess auto backups with the older version of connector software. I have been looking for a link that I can just download an updated version of the connector software and install it. While I realise that doesn't fix what is broken on the WHS, it surely would be a band-aid.

Cheers and thank you all for the assistance given.

Robert

Have you tried upgrading the Connector software on all of your clients by going to http://server:55000 (replace the word server with the name of your server) from each client, then click the Download Now button?  If that doesn't work, what error message do you get?

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:15 AM
  • When I log in to the WHS connector software then click on "Network at Risk"  the popup window has the links for each of the clients that need upgrading. i click on the correct one for the client that i am on, it opens a browser window with "http://*********server:55000/ I then click the Download Now button?  I then get a message that states
        * Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
        * If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
        * Click the Back button to try another link.
    HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)
    Technical Information (for support personnel)
        * Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
        * Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

If I go into Windows Explorer and log onto the shared folders "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" I see 2 files named "setup.exe" and "WHSConnecter.msi" both of which are dated 2007-07-09. Plus 2 folders named
    "DOTNETFX20" and "WindowsInstaller31"

Inside the folder "DOTNETFX20" I see 2 files "dotnetchk.exe" and "dotnetfx.exe"

Inside of "WindowsInstaller31" is one file "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe"

From reading the above post http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3693346&SiteID=50
    I don't have 5 of the seven files and the 2 files I have located in the folder are older versions than I see when I log onto the WHS and look at C:\WHS should I copy these files into "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" overwriting the older versions of "setup.exe" and "WHSConnector.msi"

thank you for the hand holding.

Cheers

Robert
    Monday, August 18, 2008 2:09 AM
  •  Dinks_rn wrote:
    When I log in to the WHS connector software then click on "Network at Risk"  the popup window has the links for each of the clients that need upgrading. i click on the correct one for the client that i am on, it opens a browser window with "http://*********server:55000/ I then click the Download Now button?  I then get a message that states
        * Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
        * If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
        * Click the Back button to try another link.
    HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)
    Technical Information (for support personnel)
        * Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
        * Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

If I go into Windows Explorer and log onto the shared folders "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" I see 2 files named "setup.exe" and "WHSConnecter.msi" both of which are dated 2007-07-09. Plus 2 folders named
    "DOTNETFX20" and "WindowsInstaller31"

Inside the folder "DOTNETFX20" I see 2 files "dotnetchk.exe" and "dotnetfx.exe"

Inside of "WindowsInstaller31" is one file "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe"

From reading the above post http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3693346&SiteID=50
    I don't have 5 of the seven files and the 2 files I have located in the folder are older versions than I see when I log onto the WHS and look at C:\WHS should I copy these files into "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" overwriting the older versions of "setup.exe" and "WHSConnector.msi"

Not all of them.  Just the ones you are missing.  Also, you should check Ken's post in the FAQ section titled How to fix "Page cannot be found" type errors when upgrading the connector for detailed step-by-step instructions.  If you have any questions, please post back here.

Dinks_rn wrote:
    thank you for the hand holding.

Cheers

Robert

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Have copied those files across to the folder "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" ran the link again, the page duly opened that asked me to download files. I then got the same message as above, stating "The page cannot be found" went into the folder via windows explorer and clicked on "WHSConnectorInstall.exe" and the install box duly appeared. I clicked on the appropiate switches, allowed Zone Alarm to let WHS act as a server, it looked for the WHS, found it, then tried to download the software, got to 0% and got the message "An Error Occured" "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If this problem persists, please contact product support" have tried shutting down the connector software and rerunning the exe file, to no avail.

have tried right clicking on the "WHSConnector.msi" file and choosing install. I get the message that another version of this software is currently installed, please uninstall it first. have tried un-installing the connector software, however it will not uninstall for some reason. will keep trying after a reboot and a sleep.

Cheers

Robert

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:04 AM
  • Finially got it un-installed, Vista UAC kept blocking it in the background. Whenever I try to install the connector software either via the link and "download Now" or by manually clicking on the exe or msi file it won't allow an install.

And people find golf frustrating!

Cheers
    Robert

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:51 AM
  •  Dinks_rn wrote:
    Have copied those files across to the folder "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" ran the link again, the page duly opened that asked me to download files.

I'm not sure where you are getting that path from, but that's not correct.  Please check Ken's instructions again and do exactly what he says.

Dinks_rn wrote:
    I then got the same message as above, stating "The page cannot be found" went into the folder via windows explorer and clicked on "WHSConnectorInstall.exe" and the install box duly appeared. I clicked on the appropiate switches, allowed Zone Alarm to let WHS act as a server, it looked for the WHS, found it, then tried to download the software, got to 0% and got the message "An Error Occured" "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If this problem persists, please contact product support" have tried shutting down the connector software and rerunning the exe file, to no avail.

have tried right clicking on the "WHSConnector.msi" file and choosing install. I get the message that another version of this software is currently installed, please uninstall it first. have tried un-installing the connector software, however it will not uninstall for some reason. will keep trying after a reboot and a sleep.

Cheers

Robert

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:19 AM
  • "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" refers to the mapped drive on this client machine. however i will try it again just in case.

Cheers
    Robert
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:44 AM
  •  Dinks_rn wrote:
    "X:\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software" refers to the mapped drive on this client machine. however i will try it again just in case.

Cheers
    Robert

It doesn't sound like you have the folder structure setup correctly on WHS.  It sounds to me like you currently have X = \\server\software\WHS\WHS Home Server Connector Software, which is incorrect.  It must be \\server\software\Home Server Connector Software.  (It looks like you have WHS in there twice where it shouldn't be.)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:23 AM
  • so from what you are saying, I cannot add subfolders into the software folder (which I have and strangely enough called it WHS) and then move the WHS software into it, so as to not get it mixed with other software.

Robert

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:21 PM
  • You should not do that, no. If you've moved either of the following folders, just move them back to \\SERVER\Software:
    • Add-Ins
    • Home Server Connector Software
    If you've deleted them, then you can recreate the Add-Ins folder with nothing in it. For the Home Server Connector Software folder, you should follow the directions in this FAQ posting.

The folder Home PC Restore CD should also be in the root of the software share, but it's less important for day-to-day functioning of the server.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Well bugger me, wish i had of known that months ago and i would not have changed their names. Suppose I should have read more. I assume that its ok to put other software titles into the software folder?

I have managed to get three computers updated, (2XPpro & 1 Vista Business) however the 2 Vista Home Premium's keep coming up with a warning within the home server connector setup window box that "the publisher of at least one of the downloaded files is not trusted. The files could potentially contain a virus. If you want to continue the installiation anyway, click next". I Click next to allow it and get a box opening up that states "This installiation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installation package".  

Both of these i have formated this week. They have Vista HP SP1 & every conceivable patch from MS, along with the relevant drivers freshly downloaded from their vendors. I'm stumped! however i will keep researching the issue.

Cheers

Robert

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:45 AM
  • Yes, you can put other software into the folder. You just can't rename or delete those three folders.

Regarding your issue with your Vista computers, you could try turning off UAC for the installation (turn it back on when you're done), or right-clicking and selecting Run as administrator. I haven't had the problem you describe with Vista installations so I'm not certain that will correcdt the issue, however.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Tried turning off UAC, Tried (R) click and run as administrator. no go for those two however i struck paydirt when i turned off Zonealarm and tried it again. funny thing is, all the computers are running ZA except the Vista Ultimate machine which is running AVG free, and windows firewall. have turned UAC back on and the machines are currently doing backups. got to be happy with that. :-)

Thank you Ken, Kayira21 and all those in the background that helped me with this challenge.

Cheers
    Robert

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:33 PM
  • My solution to the inability to upgrade my Connector software and the issue with the missing files in the Software folder (which I didn't delete) was to first uninstall pp2, which didn't do anything, then uninstall pp1, which resulted in the magical appearance of the missing files.  I then was able to upgrade my workstation Connector software without further problem, and the server automatically eventually re-upgraded itself to pp2.  The pp uninstalls were done at the server os gui (obviously).

There are several threads in the forums that deal with connector upgrade failures and complicated fixes; hopefully this works for those of us who think that this issue should not have occurred in the first place...

OEM WHS (original oem license)
    Generic PC with jbod hds
    XP SP3 workstations
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Ken,
    I did exactly that (Deleted the connector software folder from \\server\Software) by accident and need to rebuild but  your links above are broken....can you give me the instructions?

thanks,
    Curveo
    --Curveo
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Ken,
    I did exactly that (Deleted the connector software folder from \\server\Software) by accident and need to rebuild but  your links above are broken....can you give me the instructions?

thanks,
    Curveo
    --Curveo
    How to fix "Page cannot be found" type errors when upgrading the connector.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:26 AM