Forgot Admin Password - What are my options? RRS feed

• Question

• Well... I did a successful install on an old box.. (RC1 on a single drive).. connected with my main pc.. backed up all media.. and then deleted from my main pc.

Shut down for a while until I could install a dedicated ethernet connection... now, either I can't recall the correct password .. or it's locked me out.  (does it do that?)

I can still logon with my connector from my main pc.

So.. what can I do?  I suppose there's no way I can crack/reset it?

Can I reinstall WHS without losing my backed up data?  How will a reinstall affect my connector installs or will my main pc still recognize backups?

I'm so bummed  :-(  Thanks!

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 1:34 AM

Answers

• While you can crack the password, you'll probably find reinstalling will take less time.

If you decide to reinstall, you'll have to reinstall the connector on client PCs, or at least run discovery.exe (in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the clients, by default).
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:08 AM
  • AeroMedia

You said "I can still logon  with my connector from my main pc"

If we get you correctly it means that you can still access the WHS Console from your main PC -if this is true

Did you select "Remember the Home Server Password " on the connector?

Then you can use the WHS Console  Settings tab to reset the password. You do no need to know the "old /fogottonpassword"

Good Luck

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 11:04 AM

All replies

• While you can crack the password, you'll probably find reinstalling will take less time.

If you decide to reinstall, you'll have to reinstall the connector on client PCs, or at least run discovery.exe (in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the clients, by default).
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:08 AM
  • The official MS response would be to reinstall. You could also use an offline SAM editor. Personally I use Peter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor but haven't used it yet for WHS.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:43 AM
  • you can also try

http://www.loginrecovery.com/

the frree service takes about 48hrs.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:04 AM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:

The official MS response would be to reinstall. You could also use an offline SAM editor. Personally I use Peter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor but haven't used it yet for WHS.

Hi,

Here the link for it if you want to go as above suggestion:

Peter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

My best.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:26 AM
  •  AeroMedia wrote:

Here another easy one, just test it on XP client, since you still can connect to the server by the connector:

Download this utility: Asterisk Logger

Open the connctor (right click on the try task on WHS icon), Windows Home Server Console.

Then run that program, and it will show you the password.

My best
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:42 AM
  • AeroMedia

If we get you correctly it means that you can still access the WHS Console from your main PC -if this is true

Then you can use the WHS Console  Settings tab to reset the password. You do no need to know the "old /fogottonpassword"

Good Luck

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 11:04 AM
  •  

Wow.. thanks guys for all the replies.

I did try Peter's deal.. it says it blanked the password successfully.. but apparently doesn't work-- still couldn't get in.

I accessed/submitted the encrypted password to loginRecovery.com..  waiting for the 48 hour freebie.

Rouza.. yes, I do still have access via connector on my main pc.. I thought the "Change HomeServer Password" applied to "this" connector's password..  I didn't think that would actually change the Administrator's Password (?)

Can you confirm?

Thanks all!

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Yes it does.

The Connector Password is the Administrator's password!!

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:36 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
     AeroMedia wrote:

Here another easy one, just test it on XP client, since you still can connect to the server by the connector:

Download this utility: Asterisk Logger

Open the connctor (right click on the try task on WHS icon), Windows Home Server Console.

Then run that program, and it will show you the password.

My best

In my second post, I show you how to "know" your admin password Smile
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 7:12 PM
  •  AeroMedia wrote:

I did try Peter's deal.. it says it blanked the password successfully.. but apparently doesn't work-- still couldn't get in.

You can't connect remotely with a blank password, you need to login locally on the server and change your password.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:01 PM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:

You can't connect remotely with a blank password, you need to login locally on the server and change your password.

I had ran Peter's sw on the local WHS.. from a boot CD... I tried blanking... and, setting a new password.. etc.  It reported "success' every time.. but no-worky.

And abobader,  I tried the Asterisk Logger, in several different configs/locations and it won't work, either.  I'm on Vista.. don't know if that's why, but the website didn't say anything about Vista compatibility.

Prior to submitting the encrypted password to LoginRecovery.com, and thinking I was changing the connector's password- not the server's- I tried that password and it doesn't work.

I afraid, at this point, I should wait and see what exactly LoginRecovery.com has decrypted.. as I haven't tried to change/set since then-- let's see.. $25 or wait the whole 48 hours.. hmmm   

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Aeromedia

Please do not try any other method to change password before loginRecovery gaves you an answer.

Just remember the data you sent them is only valid at the time you extracted it, attempts by other method can cause unexpexted changes and the the password the give you will not work.

The question is still  if you can log in to the WHS Console why not change the password from the settings tab.?

The Console password is the Administrator  password and that can be changed from the Settings Tab once loged in to the WHS console.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 9:44 PM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

AeroMedia

Good Luck

Thank you!  This worked great!  I had forgotten that this was available, and luckily I did have WHS connector set to remember the password.  I had completely overlooked this option, and really didn't want to have to do a re-install. Now I won't have to re-install until I do a system rebuild.
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 2:19 AM
  • I have forgotten my admin password...when I reinstall,  do I wipe the drive clean,  or is there a simpler way

Friday, September 18, 2009 12:06 AM
  • I have forgotten my admin password...when I reinstall,  do I wipe the drive clean,  or is there a simpler way

A Server Reinstallation will format the OS partition, leaving the rest of the data in tact.  (Also, if you have any additional questions, you should start your own thread instead of adding to one that's been idle for well over a year.)
    Friday, September 18, 2009 12:24 AM
  • thank you

Friday, September 18, 2009 12:26 AM
  • The following methods may be helpful for recover or reset windows password.

1. Reset windows password with reset disk.

If have created a windows password reset disk, use it to reset your windows password in few steps. See What to do if you forget your Windows password .

2. Reset windows password without reset disk.

2.1 Reset windows password with password software.

How to use other password software to create a password reset disk and use it to reset windows password. See How to reset windows 7 and vista password without reset disk.

2.2 Reset windows password with install cd (recommend).

ERD is an excellent multi purpose product, but you should know it is not a necessary one if you have a healthy system and your sole problem is the inability to log on to Windows due to a forgotten password. Not necessary because you can easily change or wipe out your Administrator password for free during a Windows XP Repair. Here’s how with a step-by-step description of the initial Repair process included for newbie’s.

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

I tested the above on Windows XP Pro with and without SP1 and also used this method in a real situation where someone could not remember their password and it worked like a charm to fix the problem. This security hole allows access to more than just user accounts. You can also access the Registry and Policy Editor, for example. And its gui access

2.3  How to hack windows xp admin password. see http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/technicalqueries/thread/437d4a77-bf3b-4135-a44a-77fed2a0b85a

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:07 PM