WHS 2011 Server Backup Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I set up a server backup (client computer backups work fine)  on WHS 2011.  When I try to back up the server itself, using an external USB hard drive, it works fine on drive C.  As soon as it starts to backup drive D, which contains the shared folders, I get an error message, "Element Not Found".  That's not the most meaningful error message to say the least.

I have 8 users on the computer, all having read/write access to the shared folders:  Documents, Videos, Music, etc.

Any ideas?  I have been battling this all day, replaced the USB backup drive with a newer model, and still having trouble.

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:49 AM

Answers

• Hi RichLocus,

Based on your description, it seems that you can backup C drive successfully. However, there are some troubles in the process of backing up D drive. Please check the D drive and make sure that those share folders were not be used when back up. Then please check if this issue still persists.

In addition, please add the hard drive back. Then Windows Home Server 2011 formatted it, and gave it the name. Please backup again and monitor the result. For more details, please refer to this article.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If this issue still exists, please check if you can find some related Event logs. Please navigate to the folder: %programdata%\microsoft\windows server\logs. Then check server backup logs. The type of the file may be “backup-MMDDYY.log”. It may help us to go further analysis.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:03 PM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi RichLocus,

Based on your description, it seems that you can backup C drive successfully. However, there are some troubles in the process of backing up D drive. Please check the D drive and make sure that those share folders were not be used when back up. Then please check if this issue still persists.

In addition, please add the hard drive back. Then Windows Home Server 2011 formatted it, and gave it the name. Please backup again and monitor the result. For more details, please refer to this article.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If this issue still exists, please check if you can find some related Event logs. Please navigate to the folder: %programdata%\microsoft\windows server\logs. Then check server backup logs. The type of the file may be “backup-MMDDYY.log”. It may help us to go further analysis.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:03 PM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:26 AM
  • Thank you, Justin, for your information.  The article was useful.

I believe that this issue was hardware related because I did make sure that no users were locking any of the files in the Shared drive.  I also reformatted the drive several times and the problem still occurred.  I did review the event log.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:06 PM