Hard Drive Usage RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a question about how WHS uses space on the hard drives.

I have the HP MSS with 1 500GB and 3 1TB drives installed (wife is going to kill me once she sees the CC bill Smile ). I noticed that 2 of the TB drives show as 2% free space and the third shows 54% free. I was wondering the following:

1). Does WHS fill first one drive in the shared pool then move on to the next?

2). Is there a way to tell it to balance the drive space across the three drives to make usage a bit more even, a bit more intelligent balancing?

Cheers

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:34 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server seems to prefer to fill drives in pairs, and it tries to keep the primary data partition on the system drive as empty as possible. So if you've copied just about 2 TB of data to your server (through backups, share duplication, or actual files) your WHS is showing just about what I would expect.

There's no way to force it to use the third drive other than by copying files to the server. "Balancing" is something of a misnomer, in that Windows Home Server isn't actually doing load balacing across your drives. It is making sure that files in duplicated shares are stored on two separate drives, however.
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 4:08 AM