File Sharing for Computers Running Linux RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon, Within the HP MediaSmart [Running windoes home server] user Guide it states the following

The following operating systems are supported to work with the HP MediaSmart Server.

Supported Operating Systems

Operating System

Automatic Backup of Computers Running...

File Sharing for Computers Running...

Remote Access to Computers Running...

Linux

X

Would it be possible for someone the explain what this means exactly.  i.e. does it simply mean that I can see the HP MediaSmart from my Linux Machine, And therfore drag and drop data into the directories on that machine.  Clearly it does not mean I can collect media via Windows Home Server Consol, as the Linux PC will not have the software installed.  As I have been informed previously.

Regards

PS

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:04 PM

All replies

• You can access the shares on your server exactly the way you would access any other SMB network share from your Linux-based computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:51 PM
  • You can access the shares on your server exactly the way you would access any other SMB network share from your Linux-based computer.

Pretty limited functionality then, not really an fully integrated versitlie central media collator just provides a means to move files from one device to another.  All In all Pretty Poor.....
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I would agree; there's not much in Windows Home Server for the Linux afficionado. Currently Linux has about 1% to 2% of the desktop market, though; I wouldn't expect Microsoft to put any effort at all into Linux-specific support.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:21 PM