none
Server Error in '/Forums' Application. What's this all about? RRS feed

• Question

• Server Error in '/Forums' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>
    • Moved by Lori Dirks Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:01 PM forums issue (From:Expression Web and SuperPreview)
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:01 AM

Answers

• We have an error page, it just doesn't handle all the cases we need, and the web.config redir isn't something we want to do, for various reasons. So we'll both look into these errors and see if we can be more inclusive of the error conditions we should be catching.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:51 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• See where it says:

To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Do that.

ADDING: Re-reading: I didn't realize you were talking about this forum rather than a page of your site.

The error means: well, there's a error.  Details are not publicly available.

There's nothing you can about it except wait, and try again.  It's for MS/whoever manages this forum to fix.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:11 PM
  • If you are getting that error when trying to access this forum (or any other Microsoft forum) with your browser, you can go to http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads and report it (or Microsoft.en-US.reportabug if you are using the NNTP bridge) - others have and Microsoft is looking into the problem. I get similar errors with IE 8, Chrome & Safari.

[posting from the bridge]

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
    FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:04 PM
  • If you are getting that error when trying to access this forum (or any other Microsoft forum) with your browser, you can go to http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads and report it (or Microsoft.en-US.reportabug if you are using the NNTP bridge) - others have and Microsoft is looking into the problem. I get similar errors with IE 8, Chrome & Safari.

~ Kathleen Anderson
    It seems that that particular error message is way too much for the end user to deal with. Can't the server do better than that when it finds an error in a script?
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:48 PM
  • That error is not intended for the end user.  That error in fact tells you only that there was one, and that the specifics are not being made public.  (It can be any number of errors.)  If the forum writers wanted to put up a custom error page for end users, they could.  That's not something asp.net does for you.
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:56 PM
  • As Kathleen explained it's part of a long running issue that prevents some users from logging into MS forums. I submitted a screenshot of the exact error page you described back in March and again this week.

The only reliable workaround I know is to use a different computer.

Peter Thornton

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • This is an ugly generic error. We saw this on Friday for a short time, it was widespread but resolved pretty quickly. Users may see this from time to time though when there's an internal application error, something that should never happen.  Are people seeing this regularly, any urls or repro steps? We are addressing Kathleen's issues on another thread but if people are seeing this regularly let me know and we'll look into as soon as we can.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 4:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Brent, could you explain what that Server error page is, how and where is it generated, and why. I'm more than curious having seen it literally hundreds of times, dating back well into last year. That said I have not been seeing it so often recently, normally the cannot log-in problem manifests in one of the other two ways I have described.

I sent an email with screenshots of that page and other details to Arun last week, I hope he received all.

Peter Thornton

Monday, August 15, 2011 12:04 PM
  • The server error is an error that happens for a variety of reasons, many of our errors are caught properly and display a more friendly 'sorry, there's been an error' type page, but there are some that we are not handling properly.  So there are some error conditions that are happening we haven't wrapped up into our friendly message, and to be clear, we don't want ANY errors, but when users do get a server app error the page shouldn't be the vanilla dot net one. 
    Monday, August 15, 2011 4:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, that's cleared up a puzzle, I was never sure which end generated the server error page.

As I mentioned, I do not get that Server error page so often, either I go "round in circles" clicking the sign-in link, or get re-referred to the Live-Id sign-in page which advises there is a problem with the MS forums site etc. Does that mean you are trapping and handling log-in errors differently.

Peter Thornton

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Do you have a generic error page or if the error is not handled, it gets re-directed to this ASP.NET default error page?
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Monday, August 15, 2011 10:05 PM
  • We have an error page, it just doesn't handle all the cases we need, and the web.config redir isn't something we want to do, for various reasons. So we'll both look into these errors and see if we can be more inclusive of the error conditions we should be catching.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:51 AM
    Answerer