What software is supported for my WHS 2011 to mange my Back UPS XS 1000 UPS? RRS feed

• Question

• What software is supported for my WHS 2011 to mange my Back UPS XS 1000 UPS? I'd install PowerChute personal but this isn't listed as supported.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, January 2, 2012 6:14 PM

All replies

• Powerchute, as you say, is not supported as it does not integrate with the Dashboard and you would consequently need to log on locally or RDP to your Server (or use AWIECO Remote Launcher from the Dashboard). Although it's not supported, it does work and I have used it successfully.

An alternative is to use GridJunction for WHS2011 which integrates with the Dashboard and is currently undergoing a public Beta. It works well but lacks a lot of the functionality present in PowerChute.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 6:23 PM
  • AWIECO Remote Launcher from the Dashboard with Powerchute is what I use with my APC UPS.  Works quite well.  BTW, I am not sure what you mean by not supported.  Just because a program does not integrate with the Dashboard does not mean it is not supported.  Unless, of course, you mean Powerchute does not support a WHS install?

What is really great about the WHS 2011 Dashboard vs. the WHS v1 Console is that the Dashboard is more like a true Remote Desktop Connection.  Combined with Remote Launcher, there really is minimal reason to RDC directly to the server.

Monday, January 2, 2012 6:36 PM
  • @Jim

Take into consideration that this is a Microsoft forum. Which means that if a product

is either 3rd party or not certified by MS to run on Windows Home Server 2011, the

moderators here will not recommend it.

Monday, January 2, 2012 9:18 PM
  • So Phil, you did install Powerchute Personal Edition on your WHS 2011 with no issues?
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, January 2, 2012 9:25 PM
  • I'm saying that Powerchute is not listed for a WHS 2011 install, therefore not supported. I'd rather RDP in anyway if Powerchute won't have issues.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, January 2, 2012 9:26 PM
  • So Phil, you did install Powerchute Personal Edition on your WHS 2011 with no issues?
    James A+, Network+, MCP

Correct - the only problem I have ever seen was that occasionally the "APC Data Service" did not start correctly on a Server reboot. I am running Version 3.0.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 10:09 PM