Stupid noob question! RRS feed

• Question

• I think I already know the answer to this question, but if I have a HP MediaSmart Server with 2x 500GB HDDs with folder duplication enabled, do I really need to keep copies of all my music on the laptop if I'm also going to copy it all into the music folder on the server?

I don't really listen to music through the laptop, so would keep it on the server for remote access purposes as well as occasionally streaming through the Xbox, so think I might have just answered my own question....

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:09 AM

Answers

• If you don't know the answer a question is never stupid.

In (WHS) theory there is no need to do this.  However;

1. If you have catastrophic failure / destruction of your Mediasmart server all your music may lost (or at least not easy / cheap)  to recover

2. Until the data corruption bug as described in KB946676 has been fixed I would advise you not use the Mediasmart server as the only storage location for files. Certainly not for files you can not afford to loose.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:51 AM

All replies

• If you don't know the answer a question is never stupid.

In (WHS) theory there is no need to do this.  However;

1. If you have catastrophic failure / destruction of your Mediasmart server all your music may lost (or at least not easy / cheap)  to recover

2. Until the data corruption bug as described in KB946676 has been fixed I would advise you not use the Mediasmart server as the only storage location for files. Certainly not for files you can not afford to loose.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:51 AM
  • Thanks very much for your reply. That makes sense so I'll keep copies on my laptop as well in case of a worst case scenario.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 4:52 PM
  •  corksta wrote:
    Thanks very much for your reply. That makes sense so I'll keep copies on my laptop as well in case of a worst case scenario.

Even better - get another hard drive & back up all music, video & photos.  I have a backplane on my WHS server & once I put all my files on, put in another HD, backed up & then removed drive.  Whenever the current drive dies, just replace.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:31 PM