Backing up just the my documents folder RRS feed

• Question

• Windows home server currently backs up the C drive on my three computers. I there anyway to change the backup service so that it only backs up the my documents folder instead of the entrie C drive?

Thanks Darrell
    Monday, December 8, 2008 3:26 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can configure the backup to exclude the other folders but that's not much of a backup and it wont restore the OS if there's a major failure.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    • Marked as answer by dmak10 Monday, December 8, 2008 4:22 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 3:49 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can configure the backup to exclude the other folders but that's not much of a backup and it wont restore the OS if there's a major failure.

• Marked as answer by dmak10 Monday, December 8, 2008 4:22 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 3:49 AM
  • S_M_E said:

Yes, you can configure the backup to exclude the other folders but that's not much of a backup and it wont restore the OS if there's a major failure.

I must be a bit slow because I cannot find the way to do this!  How is this achieved?  Thanks.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Open the Console, go to the Computers & Backup tab.
    Select the PC in question, and click the 'configure backup' button (at the top.)
    What you want to do, however, will be a PITA, because you'll need to manually exclude every directory but the one that you want to backup.

It would be easier, I think, to instead move that user's Documents folder to the server (and, enabling duplication for that folder.)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:24 PM
  • Thanks!  Obviously I forgot to wear my logical hat today not to recognise excluding directories as a way to only back up specific directories!

I have the Documents and Settings folders already moved to another drive  other than the system drive, but it sits with a load of other stuff that doesn't need to be backed up!
    Monday, December 22, 2008 12:47 AM