Backing up 2nd computer to a portable hard drive. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently got a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Basic. My home computer operates with Windows Pro XP. I have extended my Live OneCare security to the Dell computer. I want to be able to Backup both computers to the same WD 160Gig portable hard drive without the files being comingled - in other words can I separate the backup data fom each computer on this external hard drive?
    Friday, September 26, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

• Neil Manager,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare Program forums.

You can back up files on separate computers, or you can use a central backup device (The backup files are stored on a central device that all computers in a OneCare circle can use.) for all of the computers in your OneCare circle.

To back up your files to another pc hub with external drive (given that you have OneCare backup turned on that pc):

1. Open OneCare.

2. under Quick links, click Change Settings.

3. On the Backup tab, click Configure Backup 

Create a new backup plan for your OneCare circle

a. If you haven't created a OneCare circle, on the Change backup settings screen, click Use an existing device.

or

If you've created a OneCare circle, click Change Settings

b. In the left column, click Backup plan for all PCs.

4. Select a location to backup your files to.

a. Next to Where, click Select location or Change location.

b. Select a backup location, and then click OK

5. Click Next.

6. Review the plan, and then click Save. You are ready to backup your files.

If you haven't created a OneCare circle yet, please visit the following website:

How to Manage your OneCare circle:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943920

*If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box

Please contact support if you are still having issues with backup configuration.

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2_5_client&queryType=keyword&query=rehto+rehtO&sid=012c8547-106a-41f8-9a49-231660b153fd_20373032&mkt=en-us 

1 .     Click Contact support in the middle of the webpage

2 .     Click Contact Support  in the bottom right corner of the webpage

3 .     Click Get support

4 .     Select the Billing Support or Technical Support Bubble

5.     Answer the questions appropriately, you will be guided to an agent if you have a paid subscription or email support if you have a trial version.

To answer your question, I'm not sure if your backups will be distinguished between one PC and another, but if it is, it will be in different folders.

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:58 PM