White border around panorama instead of Black RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is it possible to have white borders around a panorama instead of black ?  I like to print my panoramas.  It is not always possible to crop to remove all borders.  White border are much less intrusives than black.

Thank hou!

Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:37 PM

Answers

• We don't have this feature, but if you are a Photoshop user then you can set whatever background matte that you want.  Do this via the following:

1. Export from ICE as a .png file (png contains an alpha channel which enables you to matte onto different backgrounds)
    2. Load image into Photoshop.
    3. Select Layer>Matting>Remove Black Matte
    4. Create a new layer undeneath the panorama layer.
    5. Fill the new layer with whatever color you desire.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:53 PM

All replies

• We don't have this feature, but if you are a Photoshop user then you can set whatever background matte that you want.  Do this via the following:

1. Export from ICE as a .png file (png contains an alpha channel which enables you to matte onto different backgrounds)
    2. Load image into Photoshop.
    3. Select Layer>Matting>Remove Black Matte
    4. Create a new layer undeneath the panorama layer.
    5. Fill the new layer with whatever color you desire.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:53 PM
  • I also lament the absence of an export option with white borders.  As Matt Uyttendaele states above, you should save the file as a PNG, and then load it into Photoshop.  You don't however need to go into layers so as to remove the Matte Black layer.  You can simply save the file as a JPEG, which automatically deletes the alpha channel, and converts the border into white.

It's time consuming, and takes massive amounts of memory, but I think this is the simplest option.

• Edited by DrJWolfe Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by brucejg Friday, May 4, 2012 10:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by brucejg Friday, May 4, 2012 10:31 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:37 PM
  • I'm not sure about the comment above: when I save the stitched panorama as a JPEG, the black background is still there. But I used the following method to change the background to white. I use Microsoft Digital Image Suite, but I assume other applications permit you to do something similar. (I don't personally use Photoshop.)

I first crop the image, then highlight the black corners (or a multi-sided composite black shape, in some cases) one at a time using the Freehand Tool, with which you can make straight-sided shapes with. I then increase the exposure for the enclosed shape to the maximum value, repeating several times as necessary, until it becomes white. I then repeat the process for the other corners until the whole background is whitened, and save the image. 

Friday, May 4, 2012 10:43 PM