none
Runtime Error: Server Error in '/Forums' Application

Question

• I have another Microsoft social profile I have renamed to "Joe DiMarino Corrupted" that receives the following error when trying to view the TechNet, MSDN, and Microsoft social forums:

Server Error in '/Forums' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error 
      Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

I am able to view my user profile and the blogs when logged into this profile, but I am unable to view the forums. This error occurs from any browser and operating system.

Thanks

• Edited by JDrive Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:17 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 2:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• If this is being seen using IE9 or higher try using InPrivate Browsing mode, e.g. press Ctrl-Shift-P.   Otherwise it may help to clear Cookies.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, November 29, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Robert, thanks for the response. I tried clearing the cookies/cache and I still receive this error in IE10 with InPrivate Browsing Mode, Chrome 31, Safari on iOS, and Firefox 25. 

A couple of other things I've noticed, the page which should list the threads I have created (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Joe%20DiMarino%20Corrupted) redirects to "Page Not Found". Also searching for my username in the browse users page leads to no results (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/browseusers?userName=Joe%20DiMarino%20Corrupted).

• Edited by JDrive Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:20 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 3:00 PM
  • the page which should list the threads I have created (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=Joseph%20DiMarino) redirects to "Page Not Found".

You are posting as JDrive now so, you can see those posts using the Quick Access menu on the left and clicking on My Threads.

Also searching for my username in the browse users page leads to no results (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/browseusers?userName=Joseph%20DiMarino).

Try putting an asterisk at the end?...  In fact, searching for just Joseph Di* is enough to show that you have not posted here yet using that UserId.

BTW I make the same mistake occasionally.  I was originally just Robert Aldwinckle but when I came to these forums I was not allowed to keep using that UserId, so I tacked on on forums to have something distinct but still be me.  I think there may also have been some confusion about which LiveId was which UserId.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:37 PM
  • You are posting as JDrive now so, you can see those posts using the Quick Access menu on the left and clicking on My Threads.

I do not have any issues with the Microsoft account associated to the "JDrive" social profile I am posting from. I am unable to view the forums at all using the Microsoft account associated to the "Joseph DiMarino" social profile. The Wiki, Blogs, Gallery and other Microsoft social sites work with this account.

Try putting an asterisk at the end?... In fact, searching for just Joseph Di* is enough to show that you have not posted here yet using that UserId.

I actually have a third Microsoft account associated to the social profile "Joe DiMarino" which has no posted content on the forums. Using the same user profile search function this profile does return in the search results. (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/browseusers?userName=Joe%20DiMarino). I just find it strange how the social profile for "Joe DiMarino Corrupted" does not return in the search results even when using the asterisk in the search. It appears that the social profile exists for other Microsoft social sites, but not for the forums.

I recall receiving this error before with the current Microsoft account I am using to post. I resolved the issue by changing the display name to something else and then changing it back. In fact the TechNet wiki has an article entry suggesting to do this as the resolution (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18167.error-logging-into-technet-or-msdn-forums-server-error-in-forums-application.aspx).  I still receive the same error when trying to view the forums after changing the display name multiple times on "Joe DiMarino Corrupted".

Thanks again for your help. This issue is very confusing since I cannot view the forums while logged into my main Microsoft profile account which has an active TechNet subscription.

• Edited by JDrive Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:21 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:58 PM
  • I just find it strange how the social profile for "Joseph DiMarino" does not return in the search results even when using the asterisk in the search. It appears that the social profile exists for other Microsoft social sites, but not for the forums..

Are you a Partner?  I know that some users who have that designation have had symptoms such as yours.  I suppose they get resolved by their Partner administration.  Otherwise the only thing I can think of is to get your account "approved" for posting images and links, although that does not explain why you cannot post already.

C.f.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c1fe45c7-8255-4564-8350-03de3ccb2192/verify-your-account-9?forum=reportabug

It's getting big so if you're using IE you may have to wait a while to get it loaded.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 1, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure if they can help you, but you can try emailing fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com and see if they can offer some assistance.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,420+ strong and growing)

• Marked as answer by JDrive Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:20 PM
    Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Are you a Partner? I know that some users who have that designation have had symptoms such as yours. I suppose they get resolved by their Partner administration. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is to get your account "approved" for posting images and links, although that does not explain why you cannot post already.

I am not a partner, however I did post to that thread to request verification of the profile with issues. They replied stating that the accounts were verified, but I still receive this error. I am unsure if they verified the account I was posting with or the issue account. It looks like I can now post links/images from this account which I couldn't before.

I'm not sure if they can help you, but you can try emailing fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com and see if they can offer some assistance.

Hi Mike. I have emailed that address describing my issue and will update with their response/resolution.

BTW I have renamed the corrupted profile to "Joe DiMarino Corrupted"

• Edited by JDrive Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Everything is working now after contacting forums support. Basically the fix involved swapping the social profile of my Microsoft account that was causing the error with a newly created social profile.
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:27 PM