Is there any way to remove the server backup icon from list of backup computers RRS feed

• Question

• The bottom line is that I would like to remove the server back up from the list of backup computers.  The option to remove this computer/server backup is gray and does not function.  The reason I would like to do this is below, so if you have any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

I set up a server back up some months ago and backedup a few files to an extermal hard drive, just to check it out.  I soon realized that this is a feature that is not necessary for my needs.  I deleted the back up folder on the external drive.  I tried to remove the server backup but that option was gray.  I just let it go, it never became a problem for me until I loaded a trial version of Avast.  After doing a complete system scan, I got and error message indicating that the backup service is no longer working.  I tried using the repair wizard, but the console crashed after a while, and occured on several attempts.   I looked in the Avast console and saw that Avast was unable to scan the server backup.  There has be some link between the use of Avast and not connecting the server backup causing the loss of the backup service.  All that the troubleshooting document seems to describe is missing or corrupt hard drive(s).  So I conclude it has to be the missing back up external hard drive.  I tried creating a folder called SERVER on an external hard drive and hooked it up, but that did not work.  The repair wizard finally ran after many crashes.  Most of my back up data was lost according to the console.  The data is still there in the FS folder though, and occupies a lot of hard disk space.  I'm just ready to start over by deleting all the computers and re-connecting.  But, I sure would like to get rid of that SERVER back up so that I dont have to deal with this again. 

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

• Please go to the server storage tab, where your hard drives are listed, and remove the backup drive there. When asked, opt to remove it permanently.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Underdog_9 Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:07 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:47 PM

All replies

• Question: have you used the console to permanently remove the server backup hard drive from the server? This is done on the storage tab in the console.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:51 PM
  • I have tried to use the console to premanently remove the server back up. 

Problem is that "View Backup" and "Backup Now" are white, but the "Configure Backup" and "Remove Computer" are gray, the gray does not work.   I tried doing a backup now, but it tells me the backup hard drive is not connected.  I do have an external hard drive connected, but it may not be the same one. The same hard drive that I used initially as since been reformated and used elsewhere. 
    I'm thinking that by not having the original back up hard drive and folder, that I am stuck and probably have to reinstall to get rid of the backup.  Just thought I would post the question to see if anyone had another work around. 

Thanks for all your help!
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Please go to the server storage tab, where your hard drives are listed, and remove the backup drive there. When asked, opt to remove it permanently.
    • Marked as answer by Underdog_9 Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:07 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:47 PM