How to hire a specific resource while doing the portfolio selection of projects using analyze resources RRS feed

• Question

• In Project Server 2010,

During the Project Portfolio Selection and Analyze process, in the "analyze resource" page, how to choose a specifc resource group for hiring instead of just entering the total resources to be hired.

Pls let me know any wise suggestions from you.

Thanks

RAJ

Thanks, Raj
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:28 PM

Answers

• I don't really have a suggestion.  That's just how the system works.

Regarding selected projects, my recommendation is to just exclude them from
    the portfolio analysis.  When you don't include them, their resource requirements
    are automatically decremented from the available resource pool....hence,
    the remaining projects are prioritized against what's left of the resource
    pool.  Does that help?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can.  The analysis determines which project is next in
    the queue and staffs it accordingly. 

I guess the only way to meet your need would be to ensure that the next unselected
    project in the queue (by value) requires the resources you'd like to staff.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the immediate response to my request.

But still I do have a concern here, that, the number of resources to be hired can always be given but when it becomes more specific on the requirement, I would like to have an option to choose, rather than expecting the system to do so.

As I have projects which are checked out for some reasons, which I would execute in the next FY, but for the current financial year, as I have already selected those projects which I would definitely execute for the current FY and I still find the resource non-availability for the selected projects. That is the reason, I wanted it to be so specific on selecting the resources rather than just giving the overall requirement.

Requesting your suggestions, kindly give a suggestion.

Thanks

RAJ

Thanks, Raj
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:01 PM
  • I don't really have a suggestion.  That's just how the system works.

Regarding selected projects, my recommendation is to just exclude them from
    the portfolio analysis.  When you don't include them, their resource requirements
    are automatically decremented from the available resource pool....hence,
    the remaining projects are prioritized against what's left of the resource
    pool.  Does that help?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks once again for your response so early. I do accept your answer and certainly would as it is true that, when we dont include the projects in the box, the analysis need not to have a count on the needed resources for those projects.

And is obvious that the number of resources hired are only for the projects selected and that too based on the priority and the values which would like to commit on. This is truely system centric solution.

I still have this line included here, " It is good to have and may be mandate at some point of time, that, if it can be specifically mentioned rather than leaving to the system to decide, as I have some internal constraints on not to choose a resource by projects priority but having an option for whom to choose".

And I would like to mark as answered on your response.

Thanks

RAj

Thanks, Raj
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Thanks - and I agree, there's definitely room for improvement in the module.
     I personally would like to see a way to automatically exclude any project
    which doesn't meet a specific criteria such as NPV or IRR.

I guess that's all stuff to suggest to the product team for the next release.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:59 PM