WGA going to make resellers look bad. RRS feed

• Question

• I believe the whole new system is so badly flawed that it could cause a drop is sales for Microsoft. As a reseller we only sell geniune Verions through distribution and all of a sudden our customers are getting reports that they have been supplied counterfit software which is so far from the truth it is ridiculous.

Does this mean in future every time we sell a version of Microsoft software to a customer and somebody in the world has already stolen or hacked that code from a security flaw within Microsoft that it is us who looks bad, and mis accused of selling counterfit software giving us a bad reputation almost make you want to sell Linux !!!

Come on Microsoft pull your finger out and sort this problems out for us geniune honest people. 

Any comments resolutions to these problems ?

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:46 PM

Answers

• Darren:

It seems that the copy of Windows you're trying to install has been through too many activations.

If you are having problems installing a single product key for a single machine, you can telephone activate (should be a 2 minute call at most).

However, Product Keys (mostly) are single use for ONE copy of Windows. If you've purchased a MSDN Action Pack subscription, I would recommend immediately calling/contacting your sales representative and they will be able to remedy the product key issue.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:45 PM

All replies

• Are you really so naive?   Microsoft is unlikely to pull its' finger out since it is too far up!
    However....there are a number of resellers who are less than honest!   I am the victim of one such  and that reseller disappeared from the scene very  rapidly [probably made enough to retire to a warm, sandy beach populated with girls whose costumes didn't leave much to the imagination].  What is more annoying is that the losers are not helped very much by a company that has made billions selling second-rate software at an exhorbitant price.   It is one of the laws of existence that if there is one bad apple in a bunch then it is assumed that all the apples are bad.   There are some honest resellers out there but from what we see not in the majority.   As for Linux, well, when it can really compete with Windows [what is a  monopoly anyway?] and manufacturers start writing programmes and  games for Linux, then I will be over to it quicker than a fox after a rabbit.
    See also my post elsewhere about Microsoft condoning reseller's installations of counterfeit OS!
    Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:47 AM
  • My Dell Computer has failed the windows authenticity test. It has never had windows modified or even reinstalled. The windows on it came directly from Dell, not from a resellr!

What the hell? Something is very wrong here.

I personally have had it and will choose Linux.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 5:41 PM
  • I think your first mistake was buying a Dell.   The second was to expect Windows to be trouble-free
    However, a question does arise as to whether the deluge of so-called "illegal" installations is real or if it is a figment of Microsoft's dollar-crazed imagination.    I wonder for how many of the installations classed as illegal Microsoft has actually received payment?   Basically if a copy is really pirated Microsoft gets nothing but if it has been deemed "illegal" after Microsoft has received payment who is the real thief?   No doubt the great money-spinner will say it doesn't or couldn't happen but who knows?
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 5:15 AM
  • It is true. Those resellers that are currently porviding non Genuine copies of Windows is steadily decreasing but is by no measure down to sufficient levels that we think would truly benefit cusotmers being sold or provided non Genuine Windows. The Genuine initiative will continue to combat this.

There are legitimate resellers out there and it is important that they are used in the future to ensure the end customer does not experience the WGA issue on their new computers.

Conerning the current issue you are experiencing could you please follow the steps outlined below:

In order to provide a ready resource for our customers to troubleshoot validation problems we have provided the following diagnostic site:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

By following the directions on this site you may be able to resolve this issue. If this still fails please provide us with the diagnostics information from the WGA Diag Tool located here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

By using the “copy” button you can paste the information in its entirety to the forum.

Note: Never post Product Keys to the internet or these forums

Hth

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 5:05 AM
  • This is the information from the Diag tool as requested. Really need to get a resolution for this as our reputation is at risk all because the feeling of mistrust created by resellers and customers throught Microsoft new geniune software that does not seem to correctly recognise genuine software !

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Activation count exceeded
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GGW44-7HMW8-4FFVB
    Windows Product Key Hash: eDhdEFjhPHkQiM71T6Gs3akj14Q=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2215344-14908
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: NMMXJ7
    ID: b7357b5b-dac4-4617-be9a-5ec9277a8e71
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic: 63BB5E84-811-80004005_E2AD56EA-111-b024_E2AD56EA-112-0_BB5C1257-47-80004005_BB5C1257-52-80040202_78155E4D-278-80040202

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>b7357b5b-dac4-4617-be9a-5ec9277a8e71</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4FFVB</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2215344-14908</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-448539723-1957994488-842925246</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>JETWAY</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020722000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4D1A34F70184A043</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:05 PM
  • Darren:

It seems that the copy of Windows you're trying to install has been through too many activations.

If you are having problems installing a single product key for a single machine, you can telephone activate (should be a 2 minute call at most).

However, Product Keys (mostly) are single use for ONE copy of Windows. If you've purchased a MSDN Action Pack subscription, I would recommend immediately calling/contacting your sales representative and they will be able to remedy the product key issue.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:45 PM