off topic - Red Security Shield With White X in Middle Problem RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have XP Home Edition on this vintage 2004 HP computer.  I have resisted the Windows service packs but they have
    gradually, against my will, insinuated themselves on my computer.  I have easily resisted all manner of virii, adware, popups
    and spyware, by simply living by my wits for years.  This red shield with a white x in the middle is probably a microsoft nanny
    that I don't want.  It stops my writing every two seconds with a pop-up.  Avast, my antivirus, labels it a virus if it gets to the
    stage where it lights up a program, and Avast kills the attempt to download a program to 'cure' what ails my machine.  But I
    recognize that Avast is too literalist a virus protection software, and occasionally I have to uninstall it because it causes problems.  What's causing the problem now is the red shield with the white x in the center.  It is popping up a little balloon
    that says "you have a security problem!" every five seconds, and I have to reposition the cursor to write again.  This is maddening,  Someone help me get rid of the service pack, which accidentally loaded yesterday (Oct 17-08) against my 
    attempts to prevent it.  It interrupts often enough that the windows screensaver can't even get underway to prevent the screen
    from getting a burn image in it.  Someone help me, will you? 

Saturday, October 18, 2008 12:47 PM

All replies

• Your PC is infected with malware.

If  you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:33 PM