How to sync a CRM appointment with outlook RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I am pretty new to CRM development.

I have been able to successfully create a workflow such that when an appointment is created in crm an appointment is entered into our public Outlook calendar.

However now i wish to implement an update. Such that if the crm appointment is updated e.g time change, location change, then the corresponding outlook entry is also updated.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to implement this update and create a link between CRM Appointment and Outlook Appointment.

Another weird issue: In the my assembly call (.net dll) the code is supposed to write to event log but it does nothing is wrriten.

Even, i have a bit of code in which writes a guid to the appointment bodytext field.

All other fields save successfully but the guid to the textbody

code snippet :

===================================

dim oAppoint as new CDO.Appointment

dim oCn as new ADODB.Connection

strGUID = system.guid.newguid.tostring()

oCn.Provider = "exoledb.datasource"

with oAppoint

.TextBody = strGUID

end with

oAppoint.Datasource.SaveToContainer(strURL, .....................)

=================================

I'd appreciate some expertise input.

Thanks!

Nosheen

Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To impelment update you have to use Callouts because workflows doesn`t support update event in Microsoft CRM 3.0. This is a link to the SDK section about Callouts http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa680495.aspx where you can find more information.

I can't help you with the other issue, wait to see if someone can help you with this.

Friday, June 15, 2007 10:28 AM
  • The most likely cause for code writing nothing to the Event Log is permissions; the workflow assembly code runs under the context of the account used for the CrmWorkkflowService.

As to the problem writing the Guid; this strikes as more of an Exchange OLEDB issue; the first thing I'd try is using different format strings for the GUID, e.g. ToString("B") or ToString("N")

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, November 20, 2009 6:12 PM
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To impelment update you have to use Callouts because workflows doesn`t support update event in Microsoft CRM 3.0. This is a link to the SDK section about Callouts http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa680495.aspx where you can find more information.

I can't help you with the other issue, wait to see if someone can help you with this.

Friday, June 15, 2007 10:28 AM
  • The most likely cause for code writing nothing to the Event Log is permissions; the workflow assembly code runs under the context of the account used for the CrmWorkkflowService.

As to the problem writing the Guid; this strikes as more of an Exchange OLEDB issue; the first thing I'd try is using different format strings for the GUID, e.g. ToString("B") or ToString("N")

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, November 20, 2009 6:12 PM
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:23 PM
  •  

What about CRM 4.0 do i still have to use callouts as well ???
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:05 PM