Money 2005 UK crashes on Home page RRS feed

• Question

• My Money 2005 UK file has suddenly started crashing when I go to the Home page. I have tried restoring the backup file and even reinstalling Money as well as a full System Restore to no avail - the same thing keeps happening. I suppose I could just try to continue using the file avoiding the Home page, but I'm worried that I may end up with a more deteriorated file further down the line. I have 10 years' worth of records and I really don't want to do any permanent damage to my file. Any suggestions?.

PS On one of the crashes, Windows came up with the names of 3 files which "help describe the problem". I have been able to open 2 of them (*.xml and *.txt files), but the contents don't mean anything at all to me. I have not been able to to open the third one (*.mdmp).

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:58 PM

All replies

• Create a new file in Money 2005 without a passport (Decline) or
    open sample.mny.    Continue with this:

Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Open the problem file.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page". If that does not solve it, try removing all modules.

Friday, August 24, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Thank you very much Cal. I have just tried your suggestion and it has worked. Your explanation makes sense, as I do have a lot of investments and my file has occasionally crashed on the Portfolio Manager as well, although it had put itself right when I re-opened the file.

Looking at the 3 files that were automatically created when the programme crashed yesterday, I have found a lot of references to McAfee (which I can't make any sense of, of course) in a file called "WER7823.tmp.appcompat". I wonder whether you have heard of any conflicts between Microsoft Money and McAfee Antivirus. I would be happy to copy the text of that file here, if you think it would help. As I mentioned before, this is a very important file for me and I am keen to avoid any similar problems happening again.

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help and your knowledge.

Friday, August 24, 2012 7:53 AM